new pool

There are a few things that look suspicious.
To start with, if the pH is 6.9 the TA can't be zero.
A ca (I assume that's cya) of 9 is almost impossible to test for.

A good test kit is the first thing you need.

Answer a few questions and maybe we can help.
What have you chlorinated it with?
How much did you use?
Have you been running the filter 24 hours a day?
Have you had the water tested for metals?
Has the pond had algaecide added to it?

I took sample to local pool store they put samples in some kind of machine. Bleach and turbo shocker maybe 7 gl and 12lb. yes 24 hrs a day. 0 metals. no algaecide. Sorry a few days ago I did cut filter off after I put( back to blue) in pool. next morning crystal clear with about 2 inches of algae on bottom. Vaccumed to waste nice and slow added 3lb of tubo shock with filter running and bam cloudy green. That's when I had it tested.

You haven't really shocked the pool. Read the article in pool school on how to shock your pool.

If you will hold it at shock level it will clear up fairly quickly.

Theresa is the reason I asked about the algaecide in the pond. I remembered their ordeal. :-(

Alright,put borax & soda in took sample to store here it is fc6.89 tc6.89 cc0 ph7.6 ta164 ch243 they say cya9. They told me to put 1 bottle of algae shield in which I did and said don't shock for 48hr but after that add 3# turbo shock. Ok i'm really starting not to trust those guys, I know they got to make aliving but come on man. my question is can I go ahead and start shocking the water per pool school or do I need to wait 48hr. And I ordered the test kit tfp recommended, I live in NC so maybe it wont take long. Thanks ps went to the store before I seen you guys reply.

You don't need algae shield in a properly balanced pool. They are just taking your money. I'm betting that shock is Cal Hypo, as your CH numbers are high but CYA numbers are low.

You are correct to not trust them.

Wait for your test kit and perform the OCLT. Then you will know if you need to shock the pool.
pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
got test kit what next

MOD Edit: Please keep your posts together on the same issue. Thanks...moderator linen

Went to walmart as suggested got test kit till the one forum suggested gets here. fc 5 to 6 ph 7.6. Added algae shield this am and pool store said wait 48hr before shocking. I don't trust them after joining here seems like they got me going in circles. pool is still green and cloudy any suggestions? Thanks

You either need to follow the advice here or the pool store, but not both...it does not work. For example, we would have not had you put in a algaecide...and "Algae Sheild" is definitely not one that we recommend (in the rare instances we recommend one). It adds copper to the pool.

Thanks, but I added the algae shield before I got on forum and seen post this morning. I've ordered kit suggested and followed instructions to go get one from walmart then posted results. I understand I don't need to listen to both that's why i'm asking you for help. I've done everything suggested here since I got on here this am.

Great...I misunderstood your last post...probably because you started a new topic.

Hopefully you ordered the tf-100 since Dave (username duraleigh) has fast shipping.

Did you measure cya with the 6-way drop based HTH kit?

that is the one I ordered. I used test strip and cya is maybe 5. its a little darker than 0. after reading through the school i'm thinking its low because I'm vaccuming to waste and adding water back. if I vac to filter 5 to 10 min it starts coming out jets. i'm guessing the algae particals are to small for sand filter. any suggestions thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.