Calcium plating out?

AcoldStArnolds79

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2007
I added calcium carbonate to my pool to get the Calcuim hardness level up. It was in the low 100's and now it is 430. I noticed today that on one wall of the pool there are small white bumps that are hard. They cover the wall but have not started on the steps or pool floor. Is this calcuim plating out from the CH being too high now? I could scrub this off with a silt stone but that will take a lot of work. My PH is 7.5, chlorine is about 3 and I have a SWG with CYA of 40.
Any help on how to get this off of the wall without having to scrub it would be appreciated.
I assume I will need to replace water to get the CH down?

Dropping your pH to around 7.0 and adding a seqesterant that has a high chelation index for calcium (usually called a calcium hardness reducer or a scale control product) MIGHT dissolve the scale over a few weeks time but usually the only cure is to acid wash.
High pH is the main factor that contributes to scaling. Make sure your ph does NOT climb above about 7.8 in the future. If you read the sticky on water balance for SWGs it has some good pointers on how to control pH with a SWG by proper water balance. (There is a link to the stickies page in my signature).
Also, I am sure what you added to your pool was calcium chloride. Calcium carbonate is scale. It is what you now have and are trying to get rid of.
Your CYA of 40 ppm is too low for a SWG and is one of the contributing factors to the scaling.

I have the CH down to 350 from changing out water today. I will change out more water later this week when I have time.
Hopefully that will stop the calcium accumulation on the side of the pool.
I was able to remove most of the buildup with the siltstone brick, although it took a long time and a lot of scrubbing. Luckily it has not shown up on any of the horizontal surfaces where tender feet go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.