cloudy after borate

Dier74

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
I did the borate and all my numbers a nearly perfect yet, my pool is cloudy and wont clear up. Combined chlorine is next to nothing, ph 7.6, ta 100 borate is at 30 cya is 60, fC is 5. Any thoughts?

Nothing about adding borates should have caused the water to get cloudy.

The only thing I notice is that your FC level is on the low side. FC of 5 is acceptable, but you never want it any lower than that. Given that the water is cloudy, it would be best if you raised the FC level towards the high end of the range for the moment, say 9 or 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't mean to hi- jack this thread but my borates are 50 nd the water looks great but we didn't notice a big difference. I guess because we been doing the BBB method a few yrs now and the water has always looked crystal clear. I do think it feels better,to the skin.

Well I read on some other sites that calcium harness doesn't effect vinyl pools(which is the same opinion here) however , it does effect overall chemistry of the water. I increased my ch from 80 to 150 and the next day it was clear and shiny again.

GreatCanadian said:
Your CYA level is 60. The appropriate chlorine level is dependent on that. That's why JasonLion suggested those levels. 1-3 is just not high enough. 5 is the minimum as he stated (for your CYA level).

GC

For a SWG pool, the FC can be lower. FC of 3 would not be a problem with CYA of 60 and active SWG.

CH isn't required, but it will not hurt anything as long as it does not get too high.

That's what I figured. Swg manufacturers state cya 60 to 80 and Fc 1 to 3. As far as the ch I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but it is the only thing that seem to clear up my pool. Been fighting it for a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.