Does my CYA seem a little high?

Haley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Washington
Hi all,

So yesterday my numbers seemed quite good and we went swimming last night in our new fill. Afterward I dumped in a cup of bleach and called it a day.

Yesterday's numbers:
FC: 5.5
PH: 7.3
TA: 140
CH: 180
CC:0
CYA: Didn't test for it because I had just added 24 oz. that morning for the first time

Today's numbers:
FC: 6
PH: 7.4
TA: 180
CH: 140
CYA: 65!
CC: 0

What do you think? Also, should I leave our pool cover on when we're not using it? It's a nice, dark heavy one. Thanks for your help!!! :-D

Did you add 24 ounces of CYA by weight or by volume?

ETA: Meh, really wouldn't make much of a difference whether it was by weight or by volume. 24 oz. should get you really only to 40 +/-. Are you certain about the volume of water in your pool?

Nah. You can always let a little water out and refill.

28 oz. should raise a 4400 gallon pool's CYA by 48. The CYA test can be +/- 10 depending on the time of day your read it, the ambient light, and where you are when you read it. I'd wait 3 or 4 days and check again. If it is still high, then replace a little water.

Haley, as you probably surmised, 24 oz. of dry CYA would raise your 5300 gallon pool's CYA level up by about 34 ppm, according to the Pool Calculator. I suppose 34 was your approximate target, and you assumed a starting point of 0 CYA before adding it.

So, either you tested incorrectly, and your level is not really 65 (did you double your result in the testing process somehow?), or there already was some CYA in the water. I hope it was your test that was off.

What were the lighting conditions when viewing? Bright sun behind you. Or very bright indoor lighting?
How far away from your eyes when viewing? Not too close.

Now, keep breathing.

Will some expert post the exact testing method / advice for Haley, please?

Thanks.

I eye-balled the holding back of the 4 oz (my container holds 28 oz. I only needed to add 24 oz.) when I poured into my sock. I'll bet that I put a couple extra ounces in. :oops:

Alanpaul, to answer your questions:

1. You said, "Haley, as you probably surmised, 24 oz. of dry CYA would raise your 5300 gallon pool's CYA level up by about 34 ppm." I only have a 4,440 gallon pool. :mrgreen:

2. Yes, I started with 0 CYA in the pool. It's a brand new fill.

3. I will definitely retest in a minute.

4. The light was indoor, not the brightest. I just woke up, but sunlight was present in the room. I'll keep this in mind when I retest. Should I be outdoors? My eyes were about seven inches from the top of the little plastic thing. LOL!

Thank you, Isaac! I just went and opened up both my filter valves to the pool and dumped about 7 inches of water. We all know the CYA is too high and there's no way to get rid of it, and I'm going to have swimmers in the pool later today. So after I'm done filling up those 7 inches I lost, I'll retest. That sound like a plan? :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haley said:
Thank you, Isaac! I just went and opened up both my filter valves to the pool and dumped about 7 inches of water. We all know the CYA is too high and there's no way to get rid of it, and I'm going to have swimmers in the pool later today. So after I'm done filling up those 7 inches I lost, I'll retest. That sound like a plan? :-D
Well, 24ozs should be about 40CYA. You don't want to wait and retest?

Here's a link to the Extended Kit Testing Directions......: stand w/back to sun and hold sample at about waist level:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Hi Butterfly, I'm pretty confident that my CYA is around 60-65. (I do believe I added too much.) I figure this way, I can retest after I fill and if I need to add more later, I can. Thank you for the link!

UPDATE

After replacing those several inches earlier, I waited for a bit, re-tested just now... and sweet perfection: 35. My FC looks great too. So we're good. For now. :laughblue:

Thanks to all who commented! It helped me out so much!!!! :wink:

Haley,
I posted 5300 gallons based on your posted dimensions and the Pool Calculator's... uh...calculations.
So...maybe your pool isn't quite 15 feet wide or quite 4 feet deep.
It says 4400 gallons would be the volume of a 15' round pool with 3' 4" of water, approximately.
Or are we talking about that 7" of water you lost?
BTW, where did it get to?
JK. It really doesn't matter, I suppose.

And now we're thrilled that your numbers are great!!

Hi Alanpaul! :wave: Huh, that's interesting about the pool volume. I'll look into that. :suspect:

As for where my 7" went, I posted right after Isaac's post that I went out and dumped about 7" worth of water onto the ground so I could refill with fresh water. :wink: Thank goodness it worked! :lovetfp:

Aha! Thanks, Linen! That's where I got my number. I am assuming that Intex is calculating only up to my fill line, (around 42") where Pool Calculator is accounting for the full 48" high. Maybe? :roll: In any case, I'll keep using my 4,440 gal number. :goodjob: Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.