New Paint Job - White streaks already, no water yet

Jun 23, 2013
I can't imagine this is a new topic but I just haven't found the answer yet. Sorry.

I have an 30-35 year-old, in-ground, Sylvan pool. I typically drain it every fall. Every spring I paint it with Rumac, acrylic emulsion, DS paint. As I get older, this annual traditional stinks more and more.

The reason I paint it every year is because of paint chipping and the horrible, chalky white lines that come out each year. This year, after I painted the pool it sat for about two weeks before I wanted to fill it. The "streaks" came out during the second week. Here's the photos:

Everything I found about the streaks talks about the water chemistry. I am stumped by this because there is no water in the pool yet! We did have lots of rain in the last two weeks in the Philly area. (The paint did have a solid three days to dry.)

Some random questions and thoughts:
Did the rain do this? Should I caulk and seal below the tiles and above the tiles better? SIlicone caulk? Seal the coping and tiles? I do not have the coping pointed and sealed well right now.

Any thoughts or help would be very, very appreciated!

Happy Fourth!

John

In this case, I think the fault is not with the paint but the tile and grout above it.

What I see looks like a process called efflorescence. Wherein water from behind the tile, grout and stone is pushed out bringing dissolved minerals with it. Once it's on the painted surface the water evaporates and leaves the minerals behind.

I know of no way to stop it. You perhaps could try a sealer on the face of the tile/stonework and it may be helpful.....I don't know.

You have a nice looking pool.....sorry this has happened to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.