Have the test kit, new results, need advice...

Jun 29, 2013
I had terrible algae, got the FC up to 10, it seems gone, but pool is so cloudy.... I received my test kit in the mail yesterday, I have the new test results, I have added 2 lbs CYA in a sock:

CYA was at below 20.
FC = 7
CC = 1.5
TC = 8.5
TA = 60
PH = 6.8
CH = 230

Should I do more?

Thanks!

Your pH is too low. In fact, it may be much lower than 6.8 because that's as low as the tester reads. It could be 5-something! So treat it with Borax or Soda Ash to get it up into the 7.2>7.8 range.

Then resume the shock process because that CC level is still too high. Use the calculated CYA level you should be at to determine the FC level. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can give you an estimate if you enter your pool size and scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals.

Retested today after adding 5 lbs Borax yesterday and 3.5 lbs CYA the day before.

CYA = less than 20 (it hasn't dissolved yet, but black dot finally disappeared)
FC = 4
CC = 1
TC = 5
TA = 70
pH = 7.2

Water is still cloudy, no change, but no visible algae now. Is chlorine ok? Should I shock again?

You haven't finished the shock process yet. There are 3 criteria, and you haven't met at least 2 of them. You follow the shock process until:
1) CC<.5
2) <1 ppm FC loss overnight
3) The pool is clear.
Sounds like you need to reread the shock process, which is conveniently linked to in my signature.

I remember one other question about the process. Since the CYA level is changing so slowly due to the fact that it is taking so long to dissolve - it's there in the skimmer still, and I've added the Borax, I'm trying not to vaccum and backwash since I'll be losing all those chemicals to waster. But should I backwash anyway in the midst of this procedure if the level reaches 20? That's when I usually do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.