CYA Key to Clarity- Wow!

Jun 22, 2013
Mobile AL
I am new at this but learning quickly. Can't believe how CYA effects Chlorine and how little pool stores talk about it. Guess they wouldn't be in business if they did.

I bought the wrong test kit from leslies and am hoping to use it for now and then buy the more expensive one when I use up these chemicals. I bought the dpd kit, but not the fas-dpd. It also doesn't test CYA. So, I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit, However, had a rude awakening with a store last night. Tell me if I am right or wrong:

I tested: FC: 5, PH 7.5, Alkalinity is about 100. I had added borax 12 hours earlier and it showed an increase in ph from 7.2 to 7.5. Felt good, but once I started learning what CYA does, well, I still had pucks in my chlorinator. I turned the chlorinator to 0 to keep more cya from entering. We get hot sun and lots of rain here in South Alabama. Plenty scheduled for the next 2 days and last night. That's why I increased the PH to keep it from dropping to low after rain. Or, at least that was my understanding. Doesn't rain contain Acid? Doesn't it lower PH?

Pool store numbers:
FC: .74ppm
TC: 2.3ppm
CC: 1.56ppm
PH: 7
Hardness: 0
Alkalinity: 81ppm
CYA: 67 ppm
Copper 0
Iron: 0
Borate: 42ppm

They said everything was fine, just add 4lbs of shock and wait for the rain. The guy said the rain would increase the PH?! Reading the computer instructions: Add 1lb 3oz of Soda, Add Calcium Chloride, add Chlorine shock, add 2 tablets trichlor.

Wow! He ignored everything the computer said except for the shock.

Needless to say, I won't do any of it! I only wanted the CYA numbers and to verify what I am seeing on my own tests. I also have another cheaper test kit and strips. They agreed with my test results above.

The rain last night pushed some silt into the pool, so I am going to vacuum to waste and add some water and then re-test shortly. My pool is clear and looks great. The Chlorine is high because I added too much bleach the other day. My results were showing 0ppm on the FC and so I added 2 gallons of 5.25. My chlorine shot up, but I was losing chlorine daily, now it is stabilizing and not losing. Because of daily rains there is a need to backwash weekly at a minimum with a small water replacement ongoing. I am going to have to learn in this weather how to maintain FC and get the CYA down. Am I correct that the CYA should gradually reduce with these backwashes and water replacements without a large drain since the CYA is 67ppm? I still have a hard time believing that their ph recorded that low.

What a waste of money on these pool stores! I have ordered a CYA test kit from TFTestkits and it has already shipped. Just got concerned that I was already too high and might have to drain. Glad to see it not super high. I have a supply of bleach, borax and B soda. I will test daily and go to a different pool store weekly to verify results. Can't wait to get a better test kit!

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The jury seems to still be out as to whether rain affects pH.
We're here in S. FL and heavy rainfall does seem to make the pH rise. BUT it's NOT dependable.
Some folks believe that it's the pounding rain on the surface of the pool, causing aeration, thus pH rise.
There's really no clear explanation, so far.

As you get feets and feets of rain over the course of a year there in Southern AL, and most of it in the summer, I suspect your CYA will gradually drop to where you want it, as you have discontinued using the pucks.

Just use your test kit to be sure your FC level is appropriate for your CYA level.

Thanks! I found the chart and my chlorine seems appropriate for the level of cya. We have a low pressure system off the coast right now, so until it passes, lots of rain today, tomorrow and maybe into the weekend. Will be watching all the time.

I just re-tested this am: I still show 5-7ppm FC, 110 Alkalinity, 7.5ph. I'm not messing with anything right now, other than a quick vacuum and water top off! :-D

Ignore the rain. It has very little effect on most pools.
So, I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit
I understand your motivation but you are punishing yourself. Why would you go back to a place that gives you bogus advice and, especially, probably bogus test results?

Didn't know they were bogus until this morning after I re-tested and verified. Thought I could just get true results since I didn't have my cya kit yet; didn't want the advice. It was interesting that I knew they were lying or ignorant while I was standing there looking at them. My own self validation........

skyjenn said:
I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit...They agreed with my test results above.
+1 to what Dave (duraleigh) said. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate, especially on the CYA test. If you are currently using the strips to test with, this may go a long way in explaining why your results match the pool store's.

I have ordered a CYA test kit from TFTestkits and it has already shipped.
Good choice :goodjob: . Retest CYA as soon as it arrives. Would also suggest the whole TF-100 kit - you will need it eventually.

Most people say that rain has very little effect on pH, but I have noticed that it definitely lowers my pH. I assume that because I have a solar cover, that cancels out the aeration effect, but the water is acidic, which is why my pH gets lowered.

UPDATE! It has been one month since I turned my pool from dark green using only bleach. As I have been reading and asking questions I am continually astounded at how beautifully clear my water is. My pool has never been this pretty; it always looks like I just filled it. As I learn more about CYA and continue to monitor it, I made the decision to do about a 1/3 water replacement to bring it down so that I can use less bleach. I am still learning how to test the CYA and making sure I really can't see the black dot in the tube anymore, but it appears to be a little above the 50 mark. I am going to maintain at this level until I see that it is stationary. I used to dread walking out my back door because every day the pool was a surprise. We are enjoying our pool now and truly glad to see it every day. Thank you so much for this forum and for all of the support!

Very nice words about the forum (thanks) but don't overlook that the congratulations go mostly to you for your willingness to learn and your diligence to use what you have learned to become a true BBB'r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.