Wondering how many folks on here are into the aquarium hobby

Re: Wondering how many folks on here are into the aquarium h

I've had a couple of smaller ones over the years, had a few types of African Cichlids when I was younger.
I had a couple of friends that were into it hardcore, it's a great hobby but maintaining the water quality is a pain. I think maintaining a small aquarium is more work than my pool, I can dump chlorine in the pool but I can't in the aquarium.

Recently we got my daughter a Betta, they are interesting fish, pretty aggressive.

I used too, had some good success with several fresh tanks. Reefs are another ball game, but if you can manage one, pool chemistry ought to be a snap. Just the opposite too, pools are void of life if they are treated correctly. I always wanted a large plant tank full of Cardinal Teras, and a Discus tank too. Where I live the water is more suited to African Cichlids however. I've kept most common fresh water species at one time or another. Love em, but I think I am done with them for now.

I recall my friend one day telling me to watch a certain one of his fish, I honestly thought they were playing a practical joke on me to see how long I would stare at this tank.
To my surprise I started noticing certain behaviours, certain territories existed, certain alliances/enemies existed, etc etc.
Initially I thought they were just dumb fish, little did I know there was a little type of civilization going on in there.

One fish he had, very narrow - not sure of the name, but if you stared at this thing long enough it would get visibly agitated and it would turn and come directly at you, it was quite a thing to see.

Still, looking after the tank properly is work.

I have a nanocube 24 with chiller sitting empty for the last year. I keep looking at it and wanting to get it started up again, but I'm just not wanting to start another project. They are peaceful, but the one thing I learned is that it needed a five gallon water change every week. I just don't think I have the time at the moment to properly care for the tank.

i was in to aquariums but got tired of the same old freshwater, and wanted to move to saltwater.. unfortunatly the cost to switch over to salt was WAY to much.. ($2500) not including fish (filters, live rocks, lighting) that I gave that dream up lol.. sold my fresh water setup, and the wife took the money and bought shoes. or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.