Hello All!

Hi Everybody! I'm new here and new to pool ownership, too :-D
We live in Western Massachusetts and were ready to go on the pool build in late May, but we have had the WORST weather here and dealt with big rains every step of the way. Our PB and crew have been great and we have been so happy with their work. Finally, yesterday, the liner was installed and we are filling the pool with our well water right now. It looks like it will take a few days - pool is 35,000 gal. and we're giving our well breaks when we start to feel nervous :roll:
We're going to do stamped concrete around the pool with a large patio under the spruce tree. I know it's going to take a year for the whole thing to look finished, but right now, we just can't wait to go for a swim.

We are so psyched!!!! I'm reading Pool School, and looking forward to all of the advice I know I'll get here. Is there a forum for folks using ultra violet light sanitizers? After a lot of research, that is what we decided on. Interested to hear as many people's experience as I can.

I am trying to post some pics of pool, but I think I need to make the files smaller. Suggestions appreciated - thanks!
Happy Fourth of July to all!! :wave:
-Cynthia

Welcome to TFP and a Happy Fourth to you as well! :wave:

UV systems are generally not needed for outdoor residential pools. You will still need a sanitizer such as chlorine to maintain clean, clear water and chlorine will do the job less expensively. Take a look at this post for some extra information on alternative sanitizers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html. There are also a lot of posts on the forum regarding UV sanitizers that go along the lines of "The bulb burned out on my UV system a while ago, but I never noticed any difference." That kinda says a lot right there.

BoDarville said:
Welcome to TFP and a Happy Fourth to you as well! :wave:

UV systems are generally not needed for outdoor residential pools. You will still need a sanitizer such as chlorine to maintain clean, clear water and chlorine will do the job less expensively. Take a look at this post for some extra information on alternative sanitizers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html. There are also a lot of posts on the forum regarding UV sanitizers that go along the lines of "The bulb burned out on my UV system a while ago, but I never noticed any difference." That kinda says a lot right there.

Hi Bo!

The bulb on our Delta UV ES40 has a 13,000 hour life - 541 days. Here in Massachusetts, we'll be changing it about every 18 months.
My daughter and I are pretty sensitive to chlorine so the UV sanitizer is awesome for us! Chloramines (which cause the chlorine smell) are particularly hard for people with asthma, or sensitivities, and the UV sanitizer destroys the chloramines and other byproducts of the much reduced amount of chlorine we will need to use. Also, the always running UV sanitizer keeps the water consistently at same level of clean as opposed to treating weekly say, and having a high concentration of chemicals which then breaks down over the week and then gets boosted up again. Not a healthy thing for me and my daughter. So it's a win win for us :-D When we were in Europe a couple of years ago (where UV sanitizing has really caught on), we got to enjoy a UV sanitized pool at a house where we stayed and it was pretty amazing for us to be breathing so easy.
Hope you're enjoying the holiday!
Best,
Cynthia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.