Pump not priming

RichMA

Jul 3, 2013
This has been a very fustrating problem. I have a hayward super pump and it is not priming. I have tested all the lines for blockages and nothing. I have found a hole in the motor so replaced it and all the washers. I replaced the o'ring and cleaned everything removing leaves etc. I cannot see any leaks or holes in any of the piping. Still nothing. Any suggestions?

IO understand. You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved.

RichMA,

And the search begins.

Does the pump not prime if you close the skimmer(s) and use the main drain only as your source?

Is your water level high enough in your skimmer?
Is the skimmer door (weir) moving well with the water? If it sticks in the upright position, it will block water from getting into the skimmer, and air will take the place of water in the line.

Do you have a suction side pool cleaner in the pool? If yes, disconnect it or remove it. The hose may not be air tight. Does it have a leaf canister? The canister may not be well sealed and sucking air.

Did you lubricate the O-ring on the pump basket lid?
Is there a hairline crack in the pump basket lid?

Do any of your valves require lubrication? Some types of older ones do.

Have you any low-priced ball valves? They can fail and pull in air through their handles.

Have you poured or hosed water slowly over every pipe joint and valve and lid while watching the pump basket for the beginning of a prime?

Have you tried shaving cream as well?

Perhaps if none of these are the solution, maybe the impeller in the pump is not turning, and the water simply isn't being drawn in at all.

Anyone else out there, make your suggestions, too.

Are you sure the black pump housing isn't cracked. This isn't as unusual as it should be on Hayward Super Pumps. Google crack in Hayward pump housing to see many along with pics. If it is the crack makes it almost impossible to prime. Open the lid and run a garden hose in on max and start the pump. Will it remove the water in the housing and the water flowing in from the hose? If so close it up and try again. Sometimes this is all that's necessary to get it going. Mine turned out to be cracked along the bottom of the housing. I took a small micro torch and melted the plastic along the crack for a temporary repair and replaced the housing the following week.

The position of the multiport valve is virtually irrelevant to a suction side leak.

A cracked pump strainer basket is a possibility but doesn't make the top 15 reasons for a pump not priming.

#1 reason is an ill fitting, damaged or improperly seated 0-ring in the pump basket lid.

I would agree with you Dave but as I have the same pump and had similar issues with primeing. After exhausting leak checks and gasket seal checks it turned out to be a dirty filter issue. Which bypasing the filter on prime will show

Thanks for all the advice.

It turns out I had two issues. The first was that the new seal assembly was a dud, it leaked water but due to the position of the pump it was hard to tell. I started to run the pump it and then sealed everywhere there could be possible a hole. Once I was about half way through, like magic, it primed. I still have a leak between the motor and impeller, but I hope replacing the seal assembly will do the trick.

When I had the pump apart, I noticed that there was no slinger. Is this something that is required?

Thanks again, Rich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.