My SWCG doesn't generate chlorine

hpdad

Apr 4, 2013
South California
First, I ran 2 hrs/day. Now 3 hr/day but FC level always low when I perform the test (once every 2 days). The level was mostly 1 or 2. Sometimes 0. Added chlorine. Few days later. Same thing. Add chlorine again. So on....

In the manual recommends run 3 hr for the size of my pool.

What is the problem here?

First thing to check is your CYA level. CYA should be between 70 and 80 ppm with a SWG. If the CYA level is significantly less than this, then your chlorine is being lost to sunlight more quickly than the SWG can produce it. Please post your CYA test results and we will go from there.

I knew I forgot to post something.

CYA - about 65 (just test yesterday). I know it's low but not that much low.
PH - 7.5
TA - 90

The PH and TA are mostly at that level. Sometimes, they are bit high (PH - 7.8, TA - 110), so I added MA to bring down the TA then aerate to bring PH up.

hpdad said:
...FC level always low when I perform the test (once every 2 days). The level was mostly 1 or 2. Sometimes 0. Added chlorine. Few days later. Same thing. Add chlorine again. So on....
Next thing we need to look at is your FC and (especially) CC levels. From your post, your FC level hovered between 1 and 2 ppm with occasional drops to 0. The minimum recommended maintenance FC level is 3 ppm for a SWG pool @ 65-70 CYA. All of your FC test results are below that. What is particularly concerning are the FC drops to 0. This is like placing a welcome mat out for algae and I'm beginning to suspect that you have a nascent algae bloom going on that is not yet visible. However, even at this early stage, algae (or other organic contaminants) will consume chlorine at higher than normal rates.

Chlorine is depleted daily which is an entirely normal part of it doing its job sanitizing your pool water. Assuming your SWG is not giving you any warnings (low salt, bad cell, etc.), and assuming your water is free of organic contaminants, it will keep up with the chlorine demand. However, if algae or other organic contaminants get a foothold in your pool (usually by letting FC drop below recommended levels), then chlorine demand will increase and the SWG may not be able to keep up.

Please post current FC and CC results.

Yesterday, after tested FC = 0.4, I added about 28 oz of bleach.

Just did another test now (1:30 pm)

FC = 3.8
CC = 0.2
PH = 7.9
TA = 90

However, I know the FC level will be down to 1 tomorrow. That is why I think the SWG doesn't generate chlorine or may be something else I don't know about.

The salt level is 3200.

The CYA is 65. I will add 5 oz of stabilizer later today to bring it up to 75

The water is crystal clear.

The SWG is running fine with no warning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added chlorine last night

FC = 15.4

CC = 0.2

Just test it at 8:30 am.

FC - 10.4

CC = 0.2

Lost 5 ppm over night. The water is clear. What should I do at this point. I don't understand why it lost so much FC over night. One thing I need to pint out is I took the test at 8:30 am and the sun is already on the pool.

hpdad said:
Smykowski, I am not sure I understand your question.

I want to buy more reagent r-0871 but I see R-0871 A, C, and E, which should I get. I guess they are all the same. The only different is the amount. Just ant to make sure
You have that correct, it's just the bottle size.

The amount you lost is way more than you should even be losing in 24 hours, with the sun on it for 12 of them! So you need to continue the shock process. The more diligent you are about maintaining the FC level, the faster it will go.

hpdad said:
When shocking, can i run the pump in "recirculation" mode or "filter: mode or doesn't matter. The reason I asked because the current runs stronger in "recirculation" mode
I suppose either would work, but you're going to have to vacuum or filter out whatever's clogging the filter at some point. Whether it's every three days now, or every fifteen minutes at the end is up to you.

I am in the process of shocking the pool though something I'm not sure.

To my understanding, shocking the pool when there is algae. I haven't seen algae in my pool. The water is clear since day one. The CC is good. The only problem is it "eats" chlorine so fast.

hpdad said:
I am in the process of shocking the pool though something I'm not sure.

To my understanding, shocking the pool when there is algae. I haven't seen algae in my pool. The water is clear since day one. The CC is good. The only problem is it "eats" chlorine so fast.
You're doing it because there is something organic consuming chlorine. There's only two ways to lose chlorine: organics (dead skin, algae, leaves, pollen, etc) and sunlight. The overnight test showed you lost 5. Since the sun didn't do it, something organic did. So kill it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.