My SWCG doesn't generate chlorine

This is the process so far:

This morning (8:30)

FC = 10.4
CC = 0

Bring it up to 26 ppm at 10:00 AM

FC = 19 at 1:30 PM. Bring it up to 26

FC = 20 at 5:30. Bring it up to 26

Do you think I can get refill R-0871 at local pool store? I am about to run out :(. The new order is on the way.

hpdad said:
This is the process so far:

This morning (8:30)

FC = 10.4
CC = 0

Bring it up to 26 ppm at 10:00 AM

FC = 19 at 1:30 PM. Bring it up to 26

FC = 20 at 5:30. Bring it up to 26

Do you think I can get refill R-0871 at local pool store? I am about to run out :(. The new order is on the way.
Depends on your location. California's a pretty big place. I'm pretty sure the Leslies in LaVerne had it last year; they even had the commercial test kit with 2 oz reagents on the shelf.

Call several Leslie stores and none of them know of Taylor reagent R-0871. They asked what it's for. I told them for testing the chlorine level. I told them from Taylor's kit. Some of them said Taylor K-2006 is very old kit ??? They have different thing now. Is there a different name for it?

I live in San Bernardino area.

hpdad said:
Guys, with the FC this high while shocking, is it safe for the kids swim in?
They can swim up to shock level. I'd let it dwindle if I know they'll be getting in, then raise it back as soon as they're done.

And no, K-2006 isn't an old number, it's still on the Taylor site. They're just ignorami.

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81348.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question for experts:

The kit above required to 5 drops to do the chlorine test. And the ppm is from 0.5 - 5.

Can I use only 1 drop and multiply for 5 to get the FC? The reason I do that is I want to maintain the FC at 25 - 26 ppm for shocking. Doesn't have to be exact.

I just tried at 1 drop and the color about at 5. Can I safely assume the FC is about 25

hpdad said:
Question for experts:

The kit above required to 5 drops to do the chlorine test. And the ppm is from 0.5 - 5.

Can I use only 1 drop and multiply for 5 to get the FC? The reason I do that is I want to maintain the FC at 25 - 26 ppm for shocking. Doesn't have to be exact.

I just tried at 1 drop and the color about at 5. Can I safely assume the FC is about 25

I'll defer to chemgeek if he sees this, but with my knowledge of chemistry, I'll say no. The tests work by binding to the chlorine in the water and dyeing the water to indicate concentration. Using less drops will leave unbound chlorine in the water. A better method would be to dilute the sample by a known amount with bottled water (which contains no chlorine) and perform the test as instructed then multiply your result by the dilution factor. This will be less accurate because doing an accurate dilution is very difficult without calibrated pipettes, but usually good enough for government work :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.