New Pool Build in Atlanta! (Updated 8/28 PebbleSheen pics)

zoobie

May 9, 2013
Atlanta GA
While we were waiting for permits, we had to get one tree removed and relocate two Japanese maples and the kids' play set.
image-1.jpg

Then a big storm came through and knocked over a huge, beautiful oak that crushed part of the fence and took out two other trees. :( This is the yard after the storm damage, before the pool construction. Clearly we have lots of landscaping to do! :)
image-6.jpg

The pool will be 38x15 rectilinear design, with a 12x8 Baja shelf area in sort of an L, and a 7x7 raised spa.

Day One:
Digging commences!
image-1-1.jpg

They hit the white, water table dirt sooner than expected and needed to bring in a soil engineer to check things out, which slowed down progress. Not much appeared accomplished by the end of the first day.
image.jpg

Day Two:
Lots of digging! We all kept singing the "Dig, dig, dig!" song from Snow White. By the end of the day, there was a pool-shaped hole in the backyard! Deep end here:
image-3.jpg

Down to the shallow end, spa, and Baja shelf area
image-2.jpg

Day Three:
Plumbing day
image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

No progress today because of all of the rain. Thursday is a holiday, and we are hopeful they'll be able to proceed with the steel on Friday, depending on the ground condition.

We're trying to decide on a PebbleSheen color and tile. We went to see two pools today in our top two colors, Ocean Blue and Prism Blue. It was gray and POURING at the Ocean Blue house and they had an algae infestation (not maintained by our PB!), so it was hard to see the color. We still aren't sure. Any advice on that front?

Thanks for looking. Enjoy the holiday!

Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (In progress, with pics)

Awesome! All this rain has been such a bummer, we are pretty much done with ours, just need to clean up yard, its a muddy mess right now. Not much we can do until it dries out

Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (In progress, with pics)

AlanE said:
Looks great so far. Wish we had the room/money to do a bigger pool. I can't help you on the colors but sounds like the Ocean Blue folks need a link to TFP. :)

The driveway gate looked like a subdivision entrance. I think their staff needs a link to TFP. ;)

WWells said:
Awesome! All this rain has been such a bummer, we are pretty much done with ours, just need to clean up yard, its a muddy mess right now. Not much we can do until it dries out

The rain is crazy! The PB sent someone out to pump the deep end on Friday, and they'll need to come again tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (Updated 7/13)

Looks really good and it appears you went fast after the rain stopped!

Regarding your question about Pebblesheen it was a tough choice for us to evaluate color from small samples or other people's pools under different lighting conditions just like it was for you.

We ended up going with Pebblesheen "Blue Granite" which is kind of dark. Definitely a personal choice. I am glad my wife has the eye for color and design because it keeps the pressure off me :-D

Good luck, I really like your design.

Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (Updated 7/13)

Days 6 & 7: Tile

The first day, the guys put up the white pegboard. Then it rained. The next day, they were able to put up the tile.
image-10.jpg

Days 8-11: Coping and rock work

It won't stop raining! The guys had to cover their work and run for it so many times.

image-11.jpg

image-13.jpg

They're finally done, although a couple of coping tiles may need to be replaced. One looks cracked and one has a big, rough hole in it. Not sure why those were used. Overall, we are pleased. I can't wait to see it with the PebbleSheen.
image-12.jpg

Next up, electrical work.

Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (Updated 7/29)

We are at the same step as you. We have everything but decking and plaster and I can't get my PB to give me a date on those. We have a little bit of electrical left and the PB said they need to check to see if we need a larger gas meter. They came highly recommended but communication is severally lacking.

Re: New Pool Build in Atlanta! (Updated 7/29)

It's uh, day 13? 14? 15? Lost count...
Grounding grid installed:
image-18.jpg

image-19.jpg

The pavers have been delivered!
image-25.jpg

We have passed the electrical inspection, so hopefully they can move forward with the decking assuming the weather holds. Yesterday was dry and hot, but all they did was come out, walk around, and leave. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.