Clean to green...Yankin muh hair out!!!!

I have a salt water pool aprox 30000 gal, with spa. I have a Jandy Aquapure, of which I have cleaned out the cell in H20/muratic 2% acid solution. Yes it bubbled etc, calcium build up. Here's the problem. Can't buy liquid clorine in TX!!! Help!!!!!! Secondly. I have used algaecides, shock, sweep it daily, run pool pump 10 hrs a day, cleaned out filters, even bought new filters, and I still get some algae to form on the sides of pool!!!!! This is killin me! Go to leslies, they test my water, says all is good, and yet it isn't. Buy a bunch of their stuff ie (clor brite) walk out with an empty wallet, and no hair left on my head. Can somebody please assist me in figuring this out? Where can I buy liquid clorine so I don't get so much build up? The jandy says it is working so go figure. Got it set to 70% along with shock and I am still fighting this! Broke and broken hearted here.

The process of getting your sanity back and learning how to correctly manage your pool begins in Pool School.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" for starters

Stay out of any pool store for any reason.

Purchase your own good test kit so you can tell, with accuracy, what's wrong with your pool.

Bleach is liquid chlorine.

Where in TX are you? Most pool stores around me sell it as "liquid shock". Try Walmart. It's in the cleaning section. Great Value 8.25% bleach. It is the same liquid the pool stores sell, just a lower concentration.

I just went to walmart bought two jugs of clorine bleach! I never knew I could use this! O thank God!!!
I am so done with Leslies pools! I did read the abc's of pool school, however I don't have my own test kit.
I just got it tested at Leslies pools, and it said as follows: FAC 0 (note i just shocked it three days ago but it has been 1oo degrees here) TAC 0
Salt 3000ppm
CYA 50
TA 90
PH 7.8
So according to school info my TA is too high and my CYA too low. I just added two jugs of bleach and will wait to have tested tomorrow. Letting pool run all night. Not sure how much borates to put in, since I have no reading on it.
Pool has been brushed, flushed, etc and running with SWG set at 70% now that it is clean.

Home Depot and Lowes sells SMART liqui-shock that's 10% for 4.29 a gal. I've got 3 cases in the last few days. Fort Worth Texas for me. The Leslie folks don't sell it though for sure.

It's what is called pool stored. It can become an endless cycle. Take a breath, read pool school...... take a break and read some more. This site teaches how to learn "YOUR" pool needs. Every pool is different. Your TA might want to live at 90. Mine wants to live at 80. Any above or below I start to get swings in Ph. Look at the section about the test kits and what they max out at. The OTO only shows total chlorine up to 5ppm. The DPD shows TC and CC up to around 10ppm. The FAS/DPD shows FC and CC to around 50ppm. That's why a good test kit is needed. Your flying blind without it. Setup http://www.poolcalculator.com for your pool. Once you plug in the numbers it will show what and how to care for your pool. Most chemicals that are needed in pools are not just sold at pool stores. For example: TA Increaser is sodium bicarbonate or baking soda. 49 cents a pound at the grocery store. It really does get easy maintaining a pool. It is a slight learning curve but very easy to learn. Plus, that's what this site is for... Questions....questions.....questions.

passionflowerT, You have already made some good progress. I suggest...

1. Lower your pH down to around 7.4 using the poolcalculator and muriatic acid.

2. Put in one gallon or so of bleach everyday until you can get a test kit that will measure the high levels of chlorine we're gonna' ask you to use (The kit should have the FAS/DPD test)

3. Completely disregard CYA, borates and TA until we can get your chlorine straightened out.....I think you will need a lot more chlorine but not yet sure. Chlorine is a consumable item and you will need to put it in your pool everyday for a while until the SWG can start to keep up with your consumption.

4. What does your water look like? Can you see any algae?

I see a couple problems..."I don't have my own test kit." Number One Most Common Mistake here.

"I just got it tested at Leslies pools..." Number Two Most Common Mistake

" FAC 0 " That should never ever happen. Ever. A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even days you don't want to play with it!

"(note i just shocked it three days ago" Shock is not a one-time thing. Most of the time, the Shock Process takes at least three days of sustained elevated chlorine levels.

Solutions: Test Kit, Pool School, Bleach. In that order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.