Need HELP - Satin Matrix just installed - drains filled

Feb 16, 2013
I'm building my own pool and just had the Wet Edge Satin Matrix finish installed last Thursday. Finish looks great but there is no suction on the two drains. I pulled the drain covers and there is pebble material in drains. Finish installer service tech arrived today and said it looks like both drains are full of slurry and the only option is to jackhammer the drains out and clean out the drain pipes.

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear and I don't want to mess up my pool finish which is otherwise in great shape. The finish installer is of course going to do the repair at his cost etc.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any other options?

The pool has two drains both plumbed with 2.5" piping and two skimmers that are plumbed with 2.5" piping. The piping run from the drains to where it turns up the wall is about 7'.

Is there any sort of auger that could auger the material out of the pipe? I'd like to avoid draining the pool if possible but I could drain it if needed. Also, could I pour muratic acid in the pipes and let it eat at the material?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

That is rough! Wet Edge is supposed to have certified applicators and one would think they wouldn't goof so badly on something like this. I wish you luck on this, and hope you post with an update.

Yes, the installers are certified by Wet Edge and their reputation is good so I'm baffled as to how this could occur as well.

I'm thinking of trying to use muratic acid but that will require me to drain the pool which I'll have to do if they have to jackhammer the drains but I'd rather try a less destructive method before resorting to the demo route.

If I have to drain the pool it seems it would be better to let the finish cure a couple of weeks before draining or does that not make any difference?

Has anyone had experience with the acid method on something like this? I could use any insight that anyone has.

Thanks.

Ken

Re: UPDATE -Need HELP - Drains filled with satin matrix

I need some advice from all pool owners and builders.

As I mentioned previously, my drains were filled with the slurry from the finish installation and I haven't corrected that yet as we have been swimming and didn't want to go thru the draining of the pool and then waiting for the water to warm but it has now cooled so swimming is not very often.

I've been circulating the water with just the 2 skimmers and I haven't noticed any issues so I could abandon the drains and continue using only the skimmers as we have been doing. I know that drains aren't required and that many of you only have skimmers.

So here are my questions / concerns.

(1) In order to get the slurry mix out of the drain piping, the pool finish and gunite will need to be jackhammered out, the rebar cut, and then the piping cut out and replaced. I don't like the idea of cutting thru the rebar and gunite as I'm concerned about patching back the gunite and rebar so as to maintain the integrity of the shell. I would like input from any pool builders on this aspect please.

(2) My other concern is how imperceptible can the satin matrix repair be done. The pool is only 6' deep at this point and the water is crystal clear. I don't see how the patch of the finish won't be noticeable so I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with this.

(3) Also, I noticed that the finish around the drains and an area from the drain, that the finish is darker and I'm wondering what is causing this. Since this was an owner build, the gunite had been shot and standing for about a year before the finish was installed and this darker area is where the water collected / set. I washed everything with a bleach solution before the finish install to kill any mildew but maybe there was some residual that didn't get killed. Thoughts on this too please. And I've attached a photo of the darker area that I'm talking about. There are some shadows from trees and the screen enclosure but I think you can see the dark area ok.

So should I open the drains or continue to live with just the skimmers?

Sorry this is so lengthy. And thanks for all your replies.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 225
Hey anyone. I haven't had any comments from my last post/questions and I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions on these questions. Especially the last question regarding the discoloration around the drains.

Thanks

Speaking only from a reasonable consumers perspective I would want to be made whole (fix it). That isn't unreasonable and when you are in the middle of the situation you tend to rationalize a compromise. Fight for what should have been in the beginning and you will be happier in the long run.

Patrick, & CancerJCC

Thanks for your input. And I would like to have the drains open since the pool was designed with that feature but I'm worried about cutting thru the gunite etc. I'm not sure how that will affect the pool integrity. Also I don't think they will be able to patch the finish without the patch being visible. So I'm still conflicted.

I haven't called Scott with Wet Edge yet but will try to do that this week.

Thanks again for your posts.

IMHO, main drains are not all that useful and unnecessary so if it were me, I would just leave them alone. You are only asking for trouble if you have to jack hammer them out. A couple things you can read and view about main drains.

http://www.poolinspections.com/manuals/ ... drains.pdf

[youtube:cnkdria8]0IOUGhuKkSM[/youtube:cnkdria8]

However, I would want to get compensated for the issue so I would ask for something back or an extra.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO, main drains are not all that useful and unnecessary so if it were me, I would just leave them alone. You are only asking for trouble if you have to jack hammer them out. A couple things you can read and view about main drains.

http://www.poolinspections.com/manuals/ ... drains.pdf

[youtube:cnkdria8]0IOUGhuKkSM[/youtube:cnkdria8]

However, I would want to get compensated for the issue so I would ask for something back or an extra.

Mark,

Thanks for your comments and the article link. Sorry that I was so long in answering but I haven't been online for a while.

I have come to the same conclusion….since the main drains aren't necessary, I don't want to jackhammer them out and open up a potential problem. So the finisher and I have agreed to a reduction on the finish cost.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ken

I would want my drains if it was me. Thats just unacceptable. First, main drains help if you need to drain the pool, they provide much better circulation because you aren't just filtering the top layer of water, especially when using a heater. They also are useful if you don't want to keep filling your pool when you aren't swimming it, not as much of a problem if you aren't in year round pool open weather, but I just use my main drain instead of the skimmer when the water evaporates below the skimmer until I decide to fill it back up or until the rain does it for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.