one long pump run or several shorter

mas985 said:
Yes, it is better to break up the run time if you can but three 3 hour segments is way too long. You might try three 1 hour segments and see if that works ok.

Have a read: pool-school/pump_run_time

thank you all

Ok, would seriously like to reduce pump run costs but...

have been told that total pool volume (30,000) should be circulated once / day and that that takes about 8 hours
so not true, do not need to run 8 hrs to exchange total volume?

No it is not true. Read the link I posted.

BTW, what model pump do you have? 8 hours is pretty low flow rate for a 30k turnover.

Probably a WFE-4. A WFE-4 will produce about 80 GPM on 2" plumbing for a turnover of about 6 hours.

Also, what is your method of chlorination? Unless it is manual, that will need some adjustment for the reduced run time.

mas985 said:
Probably a WFE-4. A WFE-4 will produce about 80 GPM on 2" plumbing for a turnover of about 6 hours.

Also, what is your method of chlorination? Unless it is manual, that will need some adjustment for the reduced run time.

ok, 6 is 2/3 of 9 so cost down to 2/3, nice

chlorination? Rainbow 320, set on setting #3, about 1/2 filled with tabs, and has the inlet at the top

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't mean to imply that you had to run 6 hours. I current run my pump 4 hours per day which is about 1/2 turn per day so you might be able to get away with 3 hours per day which is why I suggested 3x1 hour runs.

As for the chlorinator, because of the reduced run time, you will need to adjust that for more in less time.

mas985 said:
I didn't mean to imply that you had to run 6 hours. I current run my pump 4 hours per day which is about 1/2 turn per day so you might be able to get away with 3 hours per day which is why I suggested 3x1 hour runs.

As for the chlorinator, because of the reduced run time, you will need to adjust that for more in less time.

is getting better and better, 3 is 1/3 of 9, lots of kWh saved
which is serious on Whidbey Island (near Seattle) as the pool is empty lots of the year

with Rainbow at 3 and half filled, there is plenty of room to increase

so why do I have a pool? was here when we bought the place
and by the way was green when we arrived, so green could walk on the water
now is clear, grandbabies will swim tomorrow; maybe me too for that matter

thank you again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.