sand filter vs cartridge filter?

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
sand filter vs cartridge filter?

is a cartridge filter more energy efficient than a sand filter?

My sand filter currently starts at about 19 psi, and I backwash when it gets upto 23-25psi depending on the water level.

If I had a cartridge filter, would I love more water flow and lower psi?

Similarly sized filters are all about the same efficiency, regardless of sand, DE, or cartridge. Larger filters are a little more efficient than smaller filters.

Over all the filter is a fairly small factor in the plumbing efficiency. Other factors make much more difference, things like pipe size, distance from the equipment to the pool, etc.

Cartridge filters will typically have less head loss than other filters mainly because it doesn't have a backwash valve. Most backwash valves seem to add a lot of head loss to a plumbing system. Sand filters also have the additional disadvantage that the head loss increases with decreasing filter area whereas cartridge and DE filters have fairly constant head loss vs size.

However, to take advantage of the lower head loss and achieve lower energy costs, you have to reduce pump run time. Here is a chart of the relative head loss of various filters:

FilterTypes.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.