SWG Dying - Having problems with liquid chlorine

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
Our salt cell is dying and even though the salt level is the high 3,000's we're not getting any chlorine generated from it. Don't have the funds for a new one just yet, so for about a month, I've been using liquid chlorine but green algae appears every 2 days or so. PH is balanced, as is TA and CYA. I've been relying on the salt cell for so long I have no idea how to maintain the pool using regular chlorine. I have added 4 gallons in two weeks and it's still getting green algae on the walls and sweep. I'm not using the chlorine tablets, but wondering if I should or if there's something else I should be doing. Never had this problem until the salt cell went out. Thanks for any advice.

How do you know the salt cell is dying? It's possible it just couldn't keep up with the chlorine demand. You said it's "dying" but a few sentences later you say it "went out". So I don't know if you mean it's actually not working.
How big is your pool?
What is your CYA level?

My apologies, I'll record the other measurements this evening and post them back.

As for the SWG, about 6 weeks ago, the reading started slowly dropping and then wouldn't display a number. I cleaned the cell (had a very small amount of buildup on it) and put it back it. Over the next week, the reading went up from 2100 to 2700 then after 2 days, started dropping back again and then wouldn't show any number. I used an "at home" test strip and also took a sample in to the pool store and the salt level was nearly 4,000. The pool (and SWG) is almost 4 years old. Thanks again.

J92S,
Please post your test results, and the size of your pool in gallons, if at all possible. That will give us enough info to assist you.

Our SWG died this past winter, after 7 years, so, I too am in somewhat unfamiliar waters.

Have you read Pool School, and did you look at the Pool Calculator?
Those are the tools we ALL use to maintain our pools: the Pool Calculator, our test results and Pool School.

That calculator tells each of us precisely how much of which percentage of chlorine our own pool requires to raise the Free Chlorine level to a safe maintenance level, and also to the Shock Process level to clear up an algae bloom. And much more. And it works. It will do the same for you. :goodjob:

So give us your test results and we'll explain how to do what your pool requires.

And read Pool School, several times, please. It's info packed, and takes several reads to absorb.
You'll see, as you put it into practice, it makes lots of sense!

You're moving in the right direction. :cheers:

Finally was able to get those measurements.

Cl - 1.5
PH - 7.6
CYA - 20
TA - 60
CH - 450

So, looks like I need to increase my CYA and replace some of our water. CH is also pretty high. Should I address the CYA or CH first?

Thanks.

Considering you're not using an SWCG right now, your chlorine FC is too low to sanitize your pool. At a CYA level of 20, the bare minimum is FC 2 for a non-SWG pool, and the target level is FC 3.

Please, punch your numbers into the Pool Calculator, as suggested, to see what you need to do to balance your pool.

Note that your CYA level appears to be somewhat low for a non-SWG pool, and considerably low if you get your SWG working again.

Also, please fill out your signature, as it provides additional info which aids in offering you suggestions to assist you. Signature is in the User Control Panel, accessed by the button at the above-left.

We've got your back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.