Confused on Salt level reading from AutoPilot vs store test

Jun 30, 2013
I have an AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator and am confused about the salt levels its reporting versus what testing at the pool store says.

Yesterday morning I got the water tested at a local pool store and they said it was 2500ppm and recommended one bag (40lbs) of salt. Before adding, the autopilot was reading at 3500ppm, so a 1000ppm difference from the test.

This morning the autopilot said 3400ppm and when I brought water to store again they said it was at 2700ppm and said to use another bag of salt to get into the 2800-3200 range.

So I am pretty confused on what the difference is between what the AutoPilot LED is telling me and what the water is registering.

Re: Confused on Salt level reading from AutoPilot vs store t

If the swg is happy (within reason) then I wouldn't worry about what the test said. You're only 600 ppm apart and that's within the accuracy of the test.

Bama Rambler said:
If the swg is happy (within reason) then I wouldn't worry about what the test said. You're only 600 ppm apart and that's within the accuracy of the test.

oh wow, so the test can really be that far off reality?

Is there some explaination why a full bag of salt would make the LED read be 100 less though?

Did you shut down the swg for 24 hours after you added the salt? If not you shoud have.

The salt has to have 24 hours of circulation to fully integrate into the water. If you read it less than 24 hours aftter adding it I wouldn't worry about the reading.

Bama Rambler said:
Did you shut down the swg for 24 hours after you added the salt? If not you shoud have.

The salt has to have 24 hours of circulation to fully integrate into the water. If you read it less than 24 hours aftter adding it I wouldn't worry about the reading.

actually my chlorine was really low so the guy had me do a boost cycle at the same time I was adding the sand (yesterday).

I then went back this morning and added the new bag of sand after their 2700 reading and the SWG is on the normal 55% output and not boost.

I think I will wait until tomorrow afternoon and see what the LED says again

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.