Local pool stores are horrible...

Jun 4, 2008
Alabama
I have to share this incident that just happened. I use a Taylor 2006 test kit and have been trying to find someone local to purchase reagents from. I can't believe it, but nobody sells them anywhere around here. I was actually even told that "We don't carry those kits because they are not accurate." Of course everyone has the strip test kits.

The local stores around me continue to amaze me. I had to share this.

I don't think they're ALL that bad.

AMERICA... provide a product and/or service for those who want it, make a profit, pay your own bills and taxes. Sell to whomever is willing to pony up the cash... the more the better, the more often the better. Repeat biz is great, simple is better, educating employess is a pain, maybe expensive... and maybe not even profitable.

My local pool store (Pool & Spa World, Baton Rouge LA), sells reagents, fixed my pump for $35, stocks a good many parts... all things I like about them. They told me they'd test my water for free... which I kindly said, "oh yea, thanks"... but haven't seen any need to bother them with such inconveniences (for them or me.)

They're just in bizness to make a living... there's tons of other businesses out there that do the same thing... make a profit for providing a services/products, all of which may or may not be exactly in the best interest of the customer. Surely, most of have worked for one of those along the way, and might even own one right now.

They're not ALL that bad. It's just your money.

One of our favorite posters even works at one!!

It sounds like you have access to a great store. I am really speaking only about the ones in my area. They all seem to be equally bad. I know there are plenty out there that are great and helpful. They just don't happen to be in my area!

For me locally here in Knoxville, TN, I was amazed at the lack of response in calling / emailing these guys. I've never had a pool before and just bought a house with one in January. The previous owners were there about 2 years and made a mess of everything, including the pool. Inherited the green swamp from them and I wanted someone to come out and get me going mechanically and help me get the pool cleaned up. They were all too busy or would not return my calls. I didn't get one email response. I started all that in March, way before it really warmed up. I had money to give them and they didn't want it. I was expecting $800-1000 to get it cleaned up but couldn't get anyone to take my money.

Luckily someone led me to you guys and gave me some good advice otherwise (crockett, many thanks). Got my mechanical issues worked out a couple of weeks ago and went from a green pool to a blue one after a day of this BBB stuff. Just waiting for a clear pool now.

Sometimes just better to learn to do things ourselves so we don't have to rely on people who may or may not help. If nothing else, I'm more educated and can have an informed conversation if I do need their help on something going forward.

Thanks for the great site and forum.

Steve

Yeah...another Tennessean! Welcome! :handwave: I'm here in Nashville, but originally from Knoxville. I too am a new pool owner and am absolutely blown away at the non-chalant attitude of pool companies. How they stay in business is beyond me! :roll: I was left high and almost dry by my pool builder and these fabulous folks have held my hand all the way. You don't need no stinkin' pool companies!! :lol:

I was in Leslie's tonight looking for the powder for the Taylor FAS/DPD test, and while they did not stock it, the girl there told me she could order it for me. I declined since I would order it from TFtestkits.com...I just wanted to see if I could get it quick. The do seem to carry quite a few of the Taylor reagents there.

I would say that 95% of the time that I took my water there last year, they basically told me it was perfect execpt for my low chorline levels, and low PH levels on occasion. The only thing they ever tried to sell me was chlorine (in some form) and soda ash for the PH. While I know better now, at least they did not try to convince me that I needed any "miracle" cures!

ovranalyzr,
Leslie's Pool Supply does usually carry the Taylor reagents as SeanH said. They do have stores in Alabama, you can do a search online to see if one is near you.

Otherwise, as JohnT stated, duraleigh at TFtestkits.com will be glad to get you what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.