How to start up?

We had to replace vinyl liner this year. Pool is filling as I type this. We are just using garden hose. This is only our second summer with the pool and I still feel like I am learning. Once pool is filled, where do I start first? I do have test kit and will test water but then what? Is there a schedule I should follow? Or can someone direct me where to look on this site for some guidelines on how to start up with all new water? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

I would start testing all levels to see where everything is. Adjust PH if needed. Get some chlorine in the water. Then get some CYA in there. Remember the CYA will lower PH. if you don't have everything on hand, go get it now. We don't want to mess up a new fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

mobrien719 said:
Using city water. Pool is still filling. Here are my current readings.
TC =0
FC=0
CYA=0
ph= 7.8
TA=230
CH=260

Now in what order to I address? Thanks!!!
Easy..

Add chlorine to get to 3 http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can help

Then mess around filling a sock with CYA stabilizer, tying it off and figuring out how to hang it in front of a return or dangle off a floating toy. That ought to take half an hour or so and expand your childrens' vocabularies.

Then add acid to take pH down to 7.2. You have high TA, so it will climb really fast, especially as soon as people start splashing around in there, aerating it.

Mess around some more trying to set up a mat or a footbath or whatever and get the kids changed. That's another half hour.

Now get in. Jump out again because that water's cold!

You can reverse the bleach and the acid - it doesn't matter much as long as you wait half an hour between additions.

mobrien719 said:
The company that installed the liner also left 5 1 pound bags of shock. Will that add CYA to pool? Can I just dilute it with pool water and pour in front of return jet? Or do I need to get a different stabilizer?
Read the label. If it's monopersulfate or calcium hypochloriote, no. If it's dichlor or trichlor (the full names are in pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations), yes.

The way to use that stuff is to enter your pool size in http://www.poolcalculator.com/ then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see just how much that stuff will raise CYA, so you don't overdo it.

Then go back up and see how much you need to add at a time to raise FC to your target. You don't want to dump it all in at once, or FC will get too high, pH will get too low, and your new liner will bleach white.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.