Calculating pH Impact of Cal-Hypo, Bleach, & Other Chlorines

Jun 29, 2013
The Pool Calculator's "Effects of Adding Chemicals" helps me estimate the pH impact of Trichlor, but not Cal-Hypo or Bleach. My 50,000-gal community pool uses a Trichlor feeder, and I'm investigating the possibility of reducing Trichlor usage and combining with Bleach or Cal-Hypo for a net pH neutral chlorine strategy. Maybe even a slight list to the high pH side, as our make-up water is acidic and the Trichlor is always pulling it down as well. Anyway, how might I approach Cal-Hypo or Bleach from a pH perspective? Would be great if I could say X amount of Trichlor would be offset by Y amount of [high-pH chlorine source like Cal-Hypo or Bleach]. Then I might attempt to split the chlorinating task accordingly between the two for a pH-neutral effect.

Thanks!!

Re: Calculating pH Impact of Cal-Hypo, Bleach, & Other Chlor

Fascinating! Thank you both!

We have low CH here (western NC), and there's a giant tub of Cal-Hypo in the storage room, so I may focus on the Cal-Hypo rather than the Bleach. Perhaps if I bring enough of that into play then I can phase out that pesky, acidic Trichlor..

Thanks!!

The CYA test is a strange one, and I'm never quite sure I'm performing it correctly. But yes I'm doing it, and that little black dot finally disappears completely when the scale reads somewhere in the 30 - 40 ppm range.

I'm rapidly coming around to ya'lls "BBB" philosophy, though at the moment I'm seeing it more as a focus on chlorination, getting that chlorine in the way that best balances other secondary measures like CYA or CH.

This forum is fantastic! The grace with which the forum experts tolerate the newbies -- and for so many years now -- is amazing.

Thanks!!

OK. Made the mistake of trying to buy sodium hypo from a pool supply. None of the stores I contacted had it. Of course they have lots of other products they recommend instead. AND they use the ruse that bleach is high pH and will monkey with the pool pH. That directly contradicts what Richard is saying. What going on here? Salesmanship?

Plaster. So since we have really low CH in our make-up water I was open to Cal-Hypo. May still be. But handling that stuff is so unnerving. Noxious fumes when you open that big bucket, and you know years are being erased from your life. I'm imagining that opening a jug of bleach and pouring it directly into the water is less dangerous than wrestling that huge Cal-Hypo bucket and then having to pre-dissolve the granules.

What's the cost-effective approach to buying bleach for a 50,000 pool?

In most cases most cost effective is to buy 12% bleach from a pool store or cleaning supply company. However, sometimes places like WalMart/Target/Aldis etc are less expensive. It all depends on what your local prices are

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.