Need some insight

Jules

Jun 14, 2011
Kemp, Tx
Trying to help a friend out. They have a 24' x 48" agp. I went over today and ran a few tests

FC-9
Cc-0
Cya-well over 100
Ph-6.8...possibly lower

Her water is brown, I could see the first and second step and then no more. She's sure she has metals, but I have another friend that uses the same water company and her pool is fine. I've already told her first thing that needs to be done is draining most of the pool to lower her cya. They are puck and bags of "shock" users. When I first saw the water, I thought for sure it was algae, but I was wrong.

Also, her husband messed around with the sand filter and it blew sand out into the pool and on the ground. I'm thinking that maybe the filter isn't filtering properly?

Any help y'all can give will be appreciated.

Pucks and bags would certainly cause the high CYA and the low pH. If they are not willing to listen and replace a lot of water and start using bleach ... save your breath and enjoy your own pool. Some people just have to find the solution themselves.

jblizzle said:
Pucks and bags would certainly cause the high CYA and the low pH. If they are not willing to listen and replace a lot of water and start using bleach ... save your breath and enjoy your own pool. Some people just have to find the solution themselves.

She's listening to me :goodjob: I've just never dealt with metals. Am I right to assume it is metals in her pool since there were no cc's?

The presence of CC has nothing to do with algae or metals ... that really does not tell you anything.

If the water is clear and colored, then it is likely metals.

Dealing with the shock process and metals at the same time is a little tricky. I think you want to complete the shock process and then deal with the metals: pool-school/metal%20stains

jblizzle said:
The presence of CC has nothing to do with algae or metals ... that really does not tell you anything.

If the water is clear and colored, then it is likely metals.

Dealing with the shock process and metals at the same time is a little tricky. I think you want to complete the shock process and then deal with the metals: pool-school/metal%20stains

The water is definitely not clear. She said she was draining it tonight. So once it's filled back up I'll walk her through the shock process.

Isaac-1 said:
Metals tend to come from 2 sources, fill water and junk from pool stores, including algaecides that contain metals, mineral systems, etc.

They haven't added anything besides Metal Control (that's what she called it, not sure of the name) and bags of "shock", both from Walmart. The more I'm reading, the more I'm leaning towards it not being metal. The pool isn't clear at all.

They are draining the pool now, she's on here reading, once it's full again we will move forward with the shock process and getting everything lined out. She's excited to use the BBB method and I'm happy to help her however I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.