Please Help This Newbie!

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to pools and just purchased an Intex 8' Easy Set AG pool (if you consider that a pool, more of a soaking tub). I read quite a bit in the "Pool School" and got completely overwhelmed hahaha. I'm looking for suggestions on getting started without paying a ton, after all the whole pool kit with pump was $63. Mostly just bought it for me and the wife to relax in after work and cool off a bit, it's been in the 100's here lately! Not to mention my wife is 8 months pregnant and loves how weightless pools make her feel. I don't really want to buy an $80 test kit but can anyone recommend a basic kit that is still good and affordable? From reading in the "Seasonal/Temporary Pool" section it looks like a few extra chemicals may be needed in my case such as Dichlor and an Algaecide. The local pool shop was trying to sell me a start-up kit that consists of 2lb. chlorine granules, 1 pint of algaecide, 4 oz. of water clarifier, some test strips, and a plastic measuring spoon. It was normally $55 but she said I can have it for half-off since it's been there a while so $27.50. Should I go with this or does anyone recommend another start-up kit or just no kit at all and just piece out what I need? Thanks in advance!

If I owned that pool, I would get a simple pH/chlorine test for under 10 bucks.

Then, each day I would add 1/2 cup of Clorox to the pool an hour before swimming. Check that the pH is in the 7's at the same time.

That pool will get too dirty before it gets out of whack chemically so you can just dump it and start over. Put a "walk-out" pan filled with water so you can enter and exit through that pan and rinse your feet.....that'll help with the dirt.

Thanks for the quick reply. I read on this site to not use the test strips cause they're inaccurate, is the same true in my case or does it not really matter because it's such a small / cheap pool anyway? As far as adding the chlorine everyday, people keep telling me to just get a float that accepts the tabs but I imagine they're not as effective as just adding liquid bleach. I'm just worried that I may forget to add the bleach some days and end up with a problem. When you say that pool will get too dirty before it has any chemical problems, what do you mean? Is it typical with these little pools to just have to drain and refill throughout the summer? I was hoping to just set it up once now and take it down at the end of the summer. Would an algaecide be beneficial or just stick to straight bleach and hope it doesn't get to nasty? Thanks

With that little water I would think the water would get too hot to enjoy after a few days.

As for dirty I think he means as in getting dirt in it from stepping in and out of it.

Walmart sells a simple drop kit. I think it tests 3 things. This would be better than the strips IMO.

Have fun and gets some good sleeping in NOW as you are going to be missing out in a couple of weeks when the baby gets here!

Kim

I wondered about the water temp getting too high myself, fortunately it will be on a covered patio so it won't have direct sun beaming down on it. So I'm heading to Walmart after work to buy some bleach and a basic test kit. Should I consider buying Dichlor to use for the first few days as stabilizer per "Pool School" and maybe some Borax and algaecide, or is that all overkill on this small pool?

Thanks,

Beau

I don't think Wal-Mart sells dichlor, at least not around here, but you can get a small 3 pack of trichlor pucks (use just one then switch to bleach) that should work for you and this small pool, you don't need to worry with borax or algecide. Just use bleach for now, and watch your pH you may need to raise or lower it depending on your local conditions, so don't buy anything yet to adjust it.

Ike

p.s. correction if you do use trichlor pucks, only use half of one per each time you dump and refill the pool, a complete puck will send your CYA too high

So yesterday I went to walmart and bought a simple 3-way drop test kit, 2 gallons of 10% chlorine (only came in a 2-pack and the normal stuff cost more??) and a single 3" trichlor puck. My questions are as follows:

1.) I understand that the higher % chlorine products will lose some of their effectiveness quicker than the lower % stuff, so is 2 gallons too much for my tiny pool since I'll probably be using only a couple ounces a day? The regular clorox was only available in a 2 qt. jug for like $2 and I paid $6.47 for 2 gallons of 10%.

2.) I noticed that the one trichlor puck is meant to treat up to 10,000 gallons of water for a week so how should I administer it for 640 gallons? I was thinking of just using a small piece of it in a sock or something for the first few days to get some stabilizer in there and then remove it and switch over to the liquid chlorine. I just don't want to get too much CYA in there

3.) If I end up using the trichlor puck, I won't be adding chlorine at the same time right? Only after I remove the puck?

4.) Am I putting way too much thought into this dinky pool? Hahaha. It hasn't arrived yet, I just want to make sure I have an idea of what I'm doing before I set it up.

Thanks

bizeau77 said:
So yesterday I went to walmart and bought a simple 3-way drop test kit, 2 gallons of 10% chlorine (only came in a 2-pack and the normal stuff cost more??) and a single 3" trichlor puck. My questions are as follows:

1.) I understand that the higher % chlorine products will lose some of their effectiveness quicker than the lower % stuff, so is 2 gallons too much for my tiny pool since I'll probably be using only a couple ounces a day? The regular clorox was only available in a 2 qt. jug for like $2 and I paid $6.47 for 2 gallons of 10%.No, just keep it stored in the shade or in the house

2.) I noticed that the one trichlor puck is meant to treat up to 10,000 gallons of water for a week so how should I administer it for 640 gallons? I was thinking of just using a small piece of it in a sock or something for the first few days to get some stabilizer in there and then remove it and switch over to the liquid chlorine. I just don't want to get too much CYA in there How big is the puck? Pool Calculator says that 8 oz. will push CYA to 50, which is great, except you need to regulate the speed it dissolves, because it will affect pH hugely and may overchlorinate and bleach swimsuits.

3.) If I end up using the trichlor puck, I won't be adding chlorine at the same time right? Only after I remove the puck? Only testing will tell you that. It might dissolve just right and keep FC up or it might need a little nudge with the jug

4.) Am I putting way too much thought into this dinky pool? Hahaha. It hasn't arrived yet, I just want to make sure I have an idea of what I'm doing before I set it up.Yes and no. Mistakes will not be a big deal - draining and refilling can be done in an afternoon. But it's good that you're thinking this out in advance

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it looks like my local Home Depot carries "Pool Time 1 LB Shock PLUS 4-in-1 Pool Shock" (dichloro 58%) for $4 for a 16 oz bag. So I'm thinking this would be easier to use in my case as opposed to the 3" trichlor puck from walmart. If 16 oz treats 12,000 gal. wouldn't I just use a little less than an ounce for my 640 gallons? Is this something I would just use once then switch to straight chlorine or should I use it daily for the first few days then switch over?

Thanks

bizeau77 said:
So it looks like my local Home Depot carries "Pool Time 1 LB Shock PLUS 4-in-1 Pool Shock" (dichloro 58%) for $4 for a 16 oz bag. So I'm thinking this would be easier to use in my case as opposed to the 3" trichlor puck from walmart. If 16 oz treats 12,000 gal. wouldn't I just use a little less than an ounce for my 640 gallons? Is this something I would just use once then switch to straight chlorine or should I use it daily for the first few days then switch over?

Thanks
Well....using http://www.poolcalculator.com/, it looks like you'll be measuring that dichlor out by the teaspoon to chlorinate... and by the time you've used up half the bag, CYA will be high enough, and then you can switch to bleach.

The dosage on the bag is for taking chlorine to shock level - the pool industry tends to ignore the effects of CYA!

Yea, I just figured it would be easier to control the amount added as opposed to the puck. However, when the pool calculator talks about adding dichlor I'm assuming it's pure dichlor (99% or whatever it is) and not 58% like the stuff I bought. So I don't know how that will affect the dosage? I guess I could just add an ounce and check the FC level and then I assume I'd be adding a little less for the days that follow...

bizeau77 said:
Yea, I just figured it would be easier to control the amount added as opposed to the puck. However, when the pool calculator talks about adding dichlor I'm assuming it's pure dichlor (99% or whatever it is) and not 58% like the stuff I bought. So I don't know how that will affect the dosage? I guess I could just add an ounce and check the FC level and then I assume I'd be adding a little less for the days that follow...
The MSDS does show it as 58% So... looks like you divide the dose by.58 or multiply it by 1.72. Which means you use 1 3/4 of the bag before switching to bleach.

Not so hard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.