Switch from Chlorine to Bromine. Do I need a new test kit?

Jul 1, 2013
I am switching from Chlorine to Bromine (did a drain and refill). I have a Taylor K-2006 and Taylor K-2005, so does anyone know whether I need to buy a Taylor K-2106 FAS-DPD Bromine Complete Test Kit, or whether I can just buy certain individual re-agents for the Bromine? Or can the K-2005/6 be used for Bromine as is?

Thanks.

Re: Switch from Chlorine to Bromine. Do I need a new test ki

Wow. I think this is the first post I have ever seen with someone switching from chlorine to bromine. May I ask why?

I think most of the tests are the same, but I am not sure if you need something different for the FAS-DPD equivalent.

Its an indoor 3,000 gallon Endless Pool kept around 97 degrees - almost a hot tub. Bromine seems like the better option for me - less smell, better on fading bathing suits, no cyanuric acid, no need to shower after Bromine etc.

Ah. Gotcha ... sort of. You will not have smell, or fading bathing suits if the chlorine was maintained properly ... and a little CYA certainly makes the chlorine much less harsh. Not sure about the no shower thing ...

The pH, TA, CH, CYA tests are all the same. Also the OTO test will report chlorine or bromine.

I think the FAS-DPD may also be the same and each drop is just a multiple of 0.5 or 1.25ppm instead of the 0.2 or 0.5ppm for FC.

From Chem Geek in another post

Code:
If you have the TF-100 test kit, then you can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test using a 5 ml water sample and each drop will be 2.25 ppm bromine.

I presume you have a chlorine test kit so multiply the FC by 2.25 to get the Total Bromine level). You should test with your more accurate FAS-DPD test kit and just multiply the FC result by 2.25; it's more accurate than the OTO test.

milhouse said:
I am switching from Chlorine to Bromine (did a drain and refill). I have a Taylor K-2006 and Taylor K-2005, so does anyone know whether I need to buy a Taylor K-2106 FAS-DPD Bromine Complete Test Kit, or whether I can just buy certain individual re-agents for the Bromine? Or can the K-2005/6 be used for Bromine as is?

Thanks.
Please elaborate on why you are unsatisfied with chlorine. I think we can help you manage your pool to a better result than you have seen before. It's easy, cheaper, and just requires a little reading. I had been having struggles with my hot tub and chemgeek got my squared away and it's been like a freshly filled hot bath ever since. Best thing is when I want to do a water change I can refill it from my pool water and its perfectly balanced right then. I do maintain it purely BBB with a little acid thrown in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.