So excited! Installed sand filter and filling now!

Haley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Washington
Thanks to those in a previous post of mine who helped convince my hubby to go with the sand filter. I set up our 15'x48" pool yesterday and installed the sand filter today. (I'm quite proud of myself, actually. I almost cried when I opened the box and saw all the parts. :cry: Thank you, God, for Youtube!) I wasn't even nervous when I cut the holes bigger for the sand filter because of everyone's amazing advice on this site! Thank you, TFP!!!! :wave:

Looks like it'll take all day to fill, possibly tomorrow too. My Taylor K2006 kit is coming any day now, but I do have a hth 6-way from Walmart in case it doesn't come before it's done filling. :wink: I'll be back soon to post my numbers and in the meantime, I'll be visiting the Pool Calculator and organizing my BBB's.

Blessings!
Haley

That's what I've been reading! So glad we got a sand filter. :-D

Does anyone know how much stabilizer I should have on hand? I have a 1.75 lbs container, but we live out of town quite a ways and I don't want to be short when my numbers come in.

SO glad to hear, GreatCanadian! Thank you!

I went out tonight to check on everything; we're about 3/4's full, but there is a bit of dripping coming from my little plug near the bottom edge of the pool. :shock: Not much, but it IS dripping consistently. Luckily it looks to be coming from under the cap so I'm hoping and praying that the inner plug (there are two parts to the plug) is just not seated correctly. :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone know how much stabilizer I should have on hand? I have a 1.75 lbs container, but we live out of town quite a ways and I don't want to be short when my numbers come in.

CYA is not in water unless you add it. Your new water will have zero CYA, so that is what you start with in the 'now' column in the PoolCalculator.Com. Be sure to add your pool size gallons at the top of the calculator. I suggest you add about 30 CYA to start.

Haley said:
Gotcha! How much bleach should I put in while I finish filling this morning?
Use the pool calculator and figure out the FC level for zero CYA and then the dose. You're gonna need to figure it out for yourself eventually, might as well start now. Having someone tell you what to put in is the pool store m.o. :wink:

Have you added any stabilizer?

Haha! Thanks. I was looking at the calculator and thinking that VERY thing! :mrgreen: I just wasn't sure because it's not filled up all the way yet... hence my question. And heck no I haven't added any stabilizer! I am terrified until I get my numbers, but do I use the calculator to figure that out too? Can you tell I'm a little nervous? :oops:

Haley said:
Haha! Thanks. I was looking at the calculator and thinking that VERY thing! :mrgreen: I just wasn't sure because it's not filled up all the way yet... hence my question. And heck no I haven't added any stabilizer! I am terrified until I get my numbers, but do I use the calculator to figure that out too? Can you tell I'm a little nervous? :oops:
You will have no CYA in tap water, so Now is zero - you don't even have to test for it yet!

http://www.poolcalculator.com/ is your new best friend. Bookmark it.

Oookay, so the calculator told me to add 37 oz of bleach and 24 oz of CYA- from what I read I apply that in a sock when it's in powder form? That sound about right? Yes, I've got that puppy saved! :wink: Thank you for walking me through these baby steps. I'll get it! :-D

Haley said:
Oookay, so the calculator told me to add 37 oz of bleach and 24 oz of CYA- from what I read I apply that in a sock when it's in powder form? That sound about right? Yes, I've got that puppy saved! :wink: Thank you for walking me through these baby steps. I'll get it! :-D
Until the CYA starts dissolving, you still have zero in the water, so recheck your target FC.

But it seems you have figured out how to use it.

I put my sock in (where the hose is filling b/c I'm not quite up to the level where I can start my filter up yet). Not very effective, but it's better than nothing. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by rechecking my "target FC." I used the default target of 4 that the calculator gave me and that's where it spit out needing to add the 37 oz of bleach. Sorry, I'm so new at this! :hammer:

Also, I'm reviewing my sand filter instructions and it says to backwash before I begin to filter, but my container of stabilizer said I shouldn't backwash my filter for 48 hours after application. Is that because they don't want the stabilizer to gunk up the filter? And since I'm using a sock, I don't have to worry about that, right? I can go ahead and backwash?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.