green pool

Jul 2, 2013
AL
I was wondering what if any is the difference between Calcium hypochlorite & Bleach? My pool is green & I am trying to fix it. I have added Calcium hypochlorite but do I need to go buy some bleach instead. I have been reading for hrs on your site & I am very overwhelmed. I do have a basic test kit that test for FC, PH, & Alkalinity. Thank you

Cal-Hypo (Calcium Hypochlorite) adds calcium to your pool each time you use it. If you have high calcium fill water it will become a problem before long.
Bleach doesn't add anything bad to your pool. A little salt is all it adds and that's not a problem.

Do you know what your CH is?

Can you post info about your equipment and pool and a set of test results?

Yes I am sorry as I am very inexperienced in talking online & I am having a bit of trouble navigating. I took water to a pool store 25,000 gal sand filter vinyl liner FC is 0.5- TC 0.5- PH 7.8- CA 20 need to know how much bleach I should buy the only thing I have added is Calcium Hypho aprox 6 lbs last night Thank you

I'm from north of Mobile, but my sister is near there.

Read what I wrote below. I think you'll get the hang of it soon.

Assuming that CA is Calcium Hardness, if it's really 20 ppm you can use the cal-hypo fo a while till it gets to where it's a problem. however if CA is really CYA then we still don't know how much CH you have. I suspect it's CH as you stated that you haven't added anything except 6 lbs of Cal-hypo.

What percentage is the chlorine in the cal-hypo you have?
What is your TA (alkalinity)?

If you haven't added anything with CYA in it you'll need to add some. You need about 6 lbs to start with.

So here's what I suggest.
1. Order a good test kit.
2. Add about 3 cups of muriatic acid or about 2 lbs of pH down (dry acid).
3. Add about 2 cups of Cal-Hypo.
4. Add 6 lbs of stabilizer in socks hanging in front of the returns.
5. Test the FC and add chlorine as required to maintain a level of about 3 ppm.

I Believe the Cal Hypo is 77% MIN. on front of bag. CA is Cyanuric Acid level 20ppm. not sure bout the CA Hardness as I don't see it on paper from pool store however I do see "Hardness" 190pp
Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction) reads 74ppm? Not sure if that is what you need
Can I get all these products you have suggested @ Lowes or the like. The pool store sold me the Cal Hypo They don't seem very helpful when they know you are trying to avoid the typical products?

You need to shock but you need a good test to do that.

Those numbers change things a little.

Have you added anything that has CYA in it? tablets, powdered shock, etc? If you haven't, then your CYA is zero.

You only need about 1½ cups of cal-hypo.
You need about 1½ qts of muriatic acid.
You can buy stabilizer at Lowes, HD, Walmart, etc.
You can buy acid at Lowes, HD or most home improvement places. Make sure it's 20º baume (31.45%). You usually find it in the paint aisle if it isn't in the pool section.

1½ cups of cal-hypo will only raise the CH by about 2 ppm so you can use a little bit of it before you get into the danger zone.

According to the Pool Calculator, for your 25,000 gallons, with your stated 20 ppm CYA, you will require 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach to get it up to a shock process level, per Pool School. Then you must maintain it there, through the process 'til the pool passes the 3 tests.

You would need nearly 1 1/2 gallons of the same bleach to get it to the level where it would be safe, IF it were clear and free of algae, but it is not. You see, if there's insufficient chlorine/bleach algae will grow and take over, which is what has happened in your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this a new fill or was it full last year?

The biggest issue is whether there has ever been any CYA in the water. If it's a new fill and you haven't added anything with CYA in it then your shock level is about 5 ppm If it's ever had any CYA in it then it's higher than that. Since it's a vinyl pool you don't want to have too much FC in it.

Thank you- this pool was full last year & we do use the tablets in the auto dispenser on the pump & any other recommended products from the pool store. We are fed up with that & want to try this new way. I am following you but unsure if I should add all these at once? I am going to go get all the items you stated & I guess I will get a gallon or 2 of Bleach to throw in as well. The free & total chlorine is 0.5 according to the pool store test. Can I get the pool test kit you recommend anyplace today? As I realize time is of the essence & I am frightened it will go to the point of no return if I don't act immediately? I currently have 3" chlorinating tabs that are in use, the cal hypo, (which I added yesterday) Metal free, PH up, PH minus & a super water clarifier ( these are products from the past they said I needed)!

You can only order the kits online. Don't worry though, you're pool won't get to the point of no return. It's not even going to get close to that point.

You can add the chems one after the other with a 30 minute wait in between, except for the CYA it can be in the sock while you're adding the others. However, since you said that you used tablets in the past, I'm going to suggest that you hold off on the stabilizer. DON'T buy it yet.
Pool Stores are notoriously bad at testing for CYA so we really have no idea how much is in your pool.

I'm also going to revise the level of FC for you to maintain. Test and add enough chlorine to maintain about 5 ppm FC in the pool.
You said you had a kit that would measure FC so just use that until you can get a good kit. Order one from www.tftestkits.net and it'll be here in a few days. You can maintain until then. And it may even get much better.

Thank you I will do as you said. should we vacuum prior to these additions? Do I understand correctly that I use a gallon of household bleach instead of a 1lb bag of shock so for a pool of my size I should use 3 gal of household bleach? Are you also suggesting that I take the 3" tablets out of the auto dispenser on filter & discontinue usage of those?

You have been such a big help & I appreciate your patience. I would love to get this down so I can free myself of the pool store. I hope that it is possible w/out a degree in chemistry? The pool is just so green & I have company coming this weekend & hope I can have this fixed by then. I also like the one on one w/ you & wondered if I could send messages w/out posting my stupidity openly on this site? Thanks again!

Charlotte, know that as a moderator, Bama Rambler will help you.
And others here on the forum will also post (if he doesn't respond quickly enough for you)!

Yes, there is a ton of info here, and it can be overwhelming, but it's all in print. You can go back and read it again and again, as most of us do. And then some of it sinks in. Really! There is undeniably a learning curve.

Charlotte, everyone posts their questions out here in the open, so we all learn from each other. For instance, you might have a problem or question somebody could recognize and answer from his/her own experience. If you don't post it, you might not get an answer. So skip the TV or a novel, for just a while, and use this forum as educational entertainment.

It does make sense, more and more, as you read, and apply the practices you can learn here.

We're not proud, and we're not judgmental. We're just glad you're here to learn to take control of your pool, just as we all are learning to do! :cheers:

charlotte said:
You have been such a big help & I appreciate your patience. I would love to get this down so I can free myself of the pool store. I hope that it is possible w/out a degree in chemistry? The pool is just so green & I have company coming this weekend & hope I can have this fixed by then. I also like the one on one w/ you & wondered if I could send messages w/out posting my stupidity openly on this site? Thanks again!
yep, what alanpaul said ^^^ We're all here to help :-D

Lol I understand! yes we vacuumed to waste & I put 2 gal of bleach (that I bought at winnDixie @ $3.79 a pop ,not any cheaper than shock?)& the cal hypo but just a small diff this morning in green color but unfortunately I didn't have the skimmers open. :( Opened this morning & put more Cal hypo in? I am ordering the test kit 2day & it looks like I need the Tf100 w/XL?

In your situation I'd recommend the XL option. If you can swing it get the SpeedStir too. It's one of those things you don't think you need until you have it and then you can't imagine ever being without it.

How much Cal-hypo did you add last night and this morning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.