My Numbers with TFT KIT..Please Advise!

Apr 10, 2008
This is my first post..I've been using TFT Test Kit for about a year..Pool is about 1 year old..

FC=2.5
CC=0
TC=2.5
pH=7.5
TA=60
CH=220
CYA=30
TEMP=84

I realize total alkalinity is low but it is a constant battle to balance pH and TA..Pool has overflow spa with fountain that tends to raise pH over a short period of time. Is it okay to have TA that is not in recommended 90 to 120 range.

Pool is gunite, approximately 1200 gallons, SWG,

It looks great to me, but I don't have a spa so no experience with that. I'm sure others will be along shortly that will know and mention if it is an issue. I recall reading on here, with a SWG the CYA can or should be higher. Can't remember which. Is your pool 12,000 gallons? 1,200 is pretty teeny....:)

Welcome to TFP!

TA around 60 is fine as long as you aren't using trichlor tablets. With CYA that low you could take TA down to 50 if you need to.

With a SWG it is better to keep CYA between 60 and 80.

Generally, it's not too hard to raise TA and lower pH. Just add baking soda to raise the TA then muriatic acid to lower the pH and your TA will go up. 60 isn't bad though. Personally, I like mine around 80. If you run around 7.5 or if your pH trends up, you won't burn off much of the TA. (TA burns off much faster at lower pH or with a lot of aeration.) I keep my pool in the 7.2-7.4 range mostly, as it always trends upward (SWG). If I drop it to 7.2, I know it won't go down from there, only up, but this does cause me to burn off TA sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.