Can I drain pool using pump?

bet2cu

Jun 14, 2013
I need to drain a significant amount of water from my pool to lower the cya. I do don't have a sump pump on hand. So I just want to make sure I don't burn up the pump motor my husband just had rebuilt. I have cartridge filters so there is a drain on the bottom of the egg or there is a three way handle /valve. I have read about putting the vacuum in and letting the head sit at the deep end. What's the best way to do this? I will need to drain below the skimmer basket.

Any suggestions appreciated,
thanks,
Bet

When I try this, I get air in my in my basket at the pump, the hose collapses.
I'm going to scream. I have never had such an issue. I was just trying to have this thing swimmable by the 4th.
Future foam pit is sounding good about now!

How is the water exiting the plumbing? One solution is to add some restriction on the pressure side of the pump to reduce the flow rate some so the hose doesn't collapse.

Also, can you isolate the main drain to the pump?

I have a main drain, but as far as I know I cant isolate. I need a pool book for Dummies! LOL!
I just came from Lowes with my new sump pump in tow & 150 ft. of hose to boot.
I'm really sad about this but I don't know what else I can do at this point. I know its my fault cause I added to much stabilizer.
I'm going to do this. I'm ready to get this chemistry under control! We have had this pool for 6 years and it is amazing all the unreliable info I received from the pool store or pool company over the years. Just like today I went to get my cya tested( I ran out of solution),stupid girl at the testing didn't know what cya even was. No Kidding!
I have faith in the BBB method!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.