Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Well, I finally obliterated whatever was growing (water was never even cloudy) but now I have a CYA level of around 40-50, a pH around 7.2 and FC of about 25. I'd like to try and get the FC down to at least close to target before bumping up CYA. And I'm not even sure at what level FC I can even try and figure out what my pH is currently.

So, some questions I'm hoping you gentle folk can answer for me...

1. At what FC level can you get a reliable pH reading? I know it's too high now, but how low FC is low enough?
2. Given I have some CYA in the pool, I don't expect the quick burn off of FC (when we actually get some sun here!). I'll be waiting a while if I want the sun to burn it off, won't I?
3. I seem to recall if FC is below shock level, you can swim. Is that a good rule of thumb? Or is there a hard number as well that you want to avoid?
4. I recall reading that you can also use something to lower chlorine. Anyone remember what it is and what else it might affect?
5. I'm assuming pH needs to be 7.4 or so to swim. If I turned on the deck jets and turned the returns so they shot in the air, any kind of rough idea how fast the pH would raise at around 100TA?
6. Lastly, there's some junk in the pool that needs to be cleaned. I'd like to throw my dolphin M4 in and let it go to work. But the manual says 4ppm max of Chlorine. Any idea what high chlorine levels would do to it?

And thanks in advance everyone. This really is an awesome place. I shudder to think where I'd be if there was no TFP and I had to rely on the pool store!

doncaruana said:
Well, I finally obliterated whatever was growing (water was never even cloudy) but now I have a CYA level of around 40-50, a pH around 7.2 and FC of about 25. I'd like to try and get the FC down to at least close to target before bumping up CYA. And I'm not even sure at what level FC I can even try and figure out what my pH is currently.

So, some questions I'm hoping you gentle folk can answer for me...

1. At what FC level can you get a reliable pH reading? I know it's too high now, but how low FC is low enough? 10
2. Given I have some CYA in the pool, I don't expect the quick burn off of FC (when we actually get some sun here!). I'll be waiting a while if I want the sun to burn it off, won't I? Yes.
3. I seem to recall if FC is below shock level, you can swim. Is that a good rule of thumb? Or is there a hard number as well that you want to avoid? It's safe to swim. When I had astronomical CYA, we swam in 22 FC every day
4. I recall reading that you can also use something to lower chlorine. Anyone remember what it is and what else it might affect? Many things will lower FC - peroxide, thiosulfite, ammonia...it'll drift down without spending any money
5. I'm assuming pH needs to be 7.4 or so to swim. If I turned on the deck jets and turned the returns so they shot in the air, any kind of rough idea how fast the pH would raise at around 100TA? You don't really know pH with FC so high
6. Lastly, there's some junk in the pool that needs to be cleaned. I'd like to throw my dolphin M4 in and let it go to work. But the manual says 4ppm max of Chlorine. Any idea what high chlorine levels would do to it? They're assuming the worst - 4 PPM in a fresh fill with no CYA. At shock level for your CYA, you actually have less aggressive FC. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in for a couple hours to let it do its thing.

And thanks in advance everyone. This really is an awesome place. I shudder to think where I'd be if there was no TFP and I had to rely on the pool store!
You would have no green in your wallet and lots in your pool

Richard320 said:
doncaruana said:
5. I'm assuming pH needs to be 7.4 or so to swim. If I turned on the deck jets and turned the returns so they shot in the air, any kind of rough idea how fast the pH would raise at around 100TA? You don't really know pH with FC so high
I lowered it to 7.2 or 7.1 (color matching not my thing) before I started the shocking a few days ago. Would anything normally raise it? At that low of a level, is it safe to swim?

Richard320 said:
doncaruana said:
You would have no green in your wallet and lots in your pool

*That* was literally laugh-out-loud funny!

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.