Please help with pump pressure issue

Sep 9, 2012
I have a 36,000 gallon in ground pool that sits around 9 feet below the level of my pump, and the pump, filter, etc are around 30 feet from the pool. I have just fitted a new Pentair IntellifloXF pump to replace a Hayward EcoStar that was killed by a surge from the power company. I run a Hayward DE filter and a Auto Pilot SWG and have 2 skimmers in the pool both running 1 1/2 inch pipe to a 2 inch Jandy 3 way valve and through a 2 inch Jandy non-return valve to the pump. All plumbing around the pump and filter is 2 inch schedule 80 that I installed at the beginning of last season and there are 2 returns to the pool, both 1 1/2 inch. It all ran fine last year with the Hayward pump.

My issue is that the pump will prime up fine and when run at speed 3 (2350 rpm) runs around 10 PSI on my filter gauge with new DE added, but over a period of around 2+ hours the flow will slowly diminish and the pressure on the filter gauge will rise to around 17 PSI and flow will be very weak back to the pool. Obviously I would expect this behavior as the filter becomes clogged, but this is happening even though the water is now pretty clean.

I am late opening the pool so assumed as I said above that the pressure build up was just the filter getting full of Algae, etc and needing to be back-washed, but if I turn off the pump for a few minutes and then turn it back on, it goes through a quick prime at around 3450 rpm for around 10-15 seconds and then settles back to normal running with good flow.

I've tightened all of the screw fittings and regularly bled the DE filter, but there really is little to no air in the filter when I bleed it.

Does anyone have any ides of what is going on or what I can try next. I am really running out of ideas and my pool service center wants $250 call out for the first 1/2 hour and $150 per 1/2 hour thereafter to look at this. It would be cheaper to install a new pool!

Sorry for the long message, but any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

You're description certainly sounds like the filter is clogging up from stuff in the pool, and when you stop the pump part of it falls to the bottom of the filter and when you start it back up it runs again until the filter starts clogging.

The fact that you say "the water is now pretty clean" says to me that it's not completely clear and a DE filter will clog up very quickly even in a slightly cloudy pool.

Which model filter do you have?

Hi Dave
Thanks very much for your reply. I had stupidly not thought of the the dirt in the filter floating to the bottom while the pressure is off. The water still is pretty cloudy so I guess this could be it.

The filter I have is the Hayward Pro Grid 4820.

Thanks again and I will continue back-washing until the water is totally clean and then see if the issue persists.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.