Grammie said:
How much DE should I add to my pool, 22,200 gallons, after cleaning my filter?
It's not the size of the pool, it's the size of the filter. Look for a label on it somewhere, something with brand name and numbers, and we should be able to help you figure it out.

If there's no readable label, then it's going to take pictures and dimensions to figure out what you have. If you have the filter apart, measure the size of the grids; that can also help identify the filter.

Grammie said:
Hayward System 3 DE
Model No S7MD60
Filtration Area: 60 Sq Ft
DE Precoat Amount: 9 lbs
Well, there you have it! 9 lbs, if you've disassembled it and done a good scrubbing. If it was just a backwash, then 80% - 7.2 lbs. A scale is the best way, because the volume depends a lot on how hard you pack it.
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

Yes, you can mix it in a bucket of pool water in small batches. Don't try to add all 9 lbs to a 2 gallon bucket! The mixture should be milky without clumps.

You can also slowly dump scoops of DE into the skimmer while the pump is running. Be sure and remove the skimmer basket first and make sure the pump pot strainer basket is clean and in place before adding the DE.

Grammie said:
Thx, if it was a snake it would have bit me! Is the best way to apply it is through dissolving in water first?
Some people mix a slurry in a bucket and pour that slowly into the skimmer. I usually just dump it a little at a time into the skimmer and let it break up and get sucked away by the turbulence. You just don't want big clods of it blocking the pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.