Pool Build (San Diego) - POOL FILLED PICS 8/31

sd_dave

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hello TFP!
I have been reading this site ever since we decided to start on our pool and began looking at designs and ideas in earnest. Contract was signed with our PB this past week and we are hoping to be swimming by Labor Day.

We are putting in a freeform pool with the following configuration:
Size: 18' x 32' IG Gunite, Saltwater
Depth: 3.5 to 6.5 feet with Beach Entry
Pool Plumbing: 2-2.5" PVC (? I need to verify the exact sizing with the PB)
Finish: NPT MiniPebble Sand (Beach Entry), Midnight Blue (Pool/Spa) with Quartzite Coping/Waterline
Automation: Pentair Intellitouch
Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo + Separate 1HP pump for Waterfall
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
Lights: Dual Intellibrite (12V or 120V TBD) for Pool and Single Intellibright for Spa
Suctions: Unknown?
Cleaner: Pentair Sandshark
Heater: Pentair MasterTemp 400
Solar: 80%+ Coverage, Unknown Make/Model

Other Features: (DIY)
Music: 6 Rock Speakers + 2 Rock Subwoofers
Firepit: Electronic Ignition via Furnace Pilot Light + Trial/Error
Tiki Torches: Natural Gas + Electronic Ignition (TBD Make/Model)
Remote Control for everything: Water Proof Floating Remote to control lights, music, water and fire features

Design by Landscape Architect
WP_20130622_001.jpg

I look forward to learning much through this process and hopefully not making any major errors during this build! Thank you for all of you that have posted pictures and advice to others on here as I doubt we would have taken this step without knowing about all the great information out there.

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego)

Here are some initial renders we had done (original design by landscape contractor) - my wife and I were much happier with the revision our landscape designer (original post) put together.

Our goal is to have everything feel very natural and organic so we are on vacation every time we go into the back yard. My wife has informed be that we will not be taking any actual vacations for years so I better get this right!

[attachment=1:1q8xfh6y]render_003_edit.jpg[/attachment:1q8xfh6y]
[attachment=0:1q8xfh6y]render_009_edit.jpg[/attachment:1q8xfh6y]

Attachments

• render_003_edit.jpg
    render_003_edit.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,232
  • render_009_edit.jpg
    render_009_edit.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,232
Tiki Torches

We want to add a couple tiki torches to either side of the waterfall and found these online:

http://www.amazon.com/Koahi-Automat...5202&sr=8-1&keywords=tiki+gas+torch+automatic
[attachment=0:2ysfcdox]tiki_torch.jpg[/attachment:2ysfcdox]

Any experience with these or similar? We definitely want to be able to turn them on/off from the Pentair controller. It would be awesome to be able to adjust the flame level as well but I'm not seeing anything in the description that suggests that is possible.

Attachments

• tiki_torch.jpg
    tiki_torch.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1,226

jamgolf said:
Have you considered a negative edge pool?
With your elevated lot and view that would be a pretty cool look...

We did look into it but were talked out of it by a few contractors for a couple reasons:
1) Cost - it would have added between $7-10k to our cost which would have put the project out of reach
2) Kids - we were told that with lots of kids playing it can cause the water to splash out faster than the return pump can put the water back in the pool so its better for a lounge pool than a play pool.

On the section that has the bar stools it will pretty much be water, 12" coping and then the slope will drop away. We figure that will provide the perfect amount of space to set your drink while enjoying the sunset!

Dig Day!

Permit is being picked up by the PB today and dig is scheduled for tomorrow and Thursday!

After doing some further reading I'm having some second thoughts about two items:
- The shallow end right now starts at 3.5' and slopes to about 5' deep right after the barstool area. The deep end is 6.5' depth. -
1) Is the deep end going to be deep enough for jumping off the waterfall into that portion of the pool (waterfall will be about 3.5' out of the water). We are not going to allow any diving -- only regular jumping/cannonballs.
2) Some posts mention that a constant slope from shallow to deep is not very comfortable to stand on. Should we just start the shallow end a little deeper than 3.5' and keep it more level? I'll post a follow up photo with the layout per the PB.

Thanks for any input! The PB said adjustments to depth are fine if I let him know prior to the start of the dig tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

[attachment=0:yyoy3ajh]pool_depths_sm.jpg[/attachment:yyoy3ajh]

See enclosed depth layout per the PB. Any input would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool_depths_sm.jpg
    pool_depths_sm.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,124

I just finished my pool and the depth is 3.5 to 6.5 and I regret not going deeper. We don't allow diving either, but some of the kids still hit the bottom when cannon balling or "pencil jumping" as they call it from our spa which is elevated about a foot or two from the pool level.

sdspencer said:
I just finished my pool and the depth is 3.5 to 6.5 and I regret not going deeper. We don't allow diving either, but some of the kids still hit the bottom when cannon balling or "pencil jumping" as they call it from our spa which is elevated about a foot or two from the pool level.

Do you think 7' would be deep enough? I definitely don't want the kids getting hurt (first priority) but am also concerned about the amount of slope that will be required to go super deep. I have included an updated version of the photo that shows the distances between the different depths. I think I'm ok with a pretty steep transition between the play area and the deep end as long as the pool cleaner will still work.

[attachment=0:1hq131hj]pool_depths_sm_b.jpg[/attachment:1hq131hj]

Attachments

• pool_depths_sm_b.jpg
    pool_depths_sm_b.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1,090

I think 7 would be ok, but if I could do mine again I probably would go 7 1/2. I know there's a slope calculation you can work with to make sure it's ok, but if the slope is bearable I don't think you'll regret that 1/2 foot deeper. What I've learned from my pool after having it open for only a couple of weeks is that all kids at every age LOVE to jump, and all I worry about now is them hitting their feet at the bottom. :(

sdspencer said:
I think 7 would be ok, but if I could do mine again I probably would go 7 1/2. I know there's a slope calculation you can work with to make sure it's ok, but if the slope is bearable I don't think you'll regret that 1/2 foot deeper. What I've learned from my pool after having it open for only a couple of weeks is that all kids at every age LOVE to jump, and all I worry about now is them hitting their feet at the bottom. :(
Mine's about to be built and I've had a similar dilemma. I'm currently at 7' in the deep end but am wondering about pushing it to 8'. I have a 5' high waterfall/slide that I'm a little worried about people hitting the bottom when they jump off it (I know it's inevitable that people will).

Dig Day (Progress Photo)

Well after the first day of digging it is starting to look like a pool! One of the things I am quickly learning is that no matter what you think the schedule is, plan for more time. Stuff happens - like random rain in the middle of July (I cannot remember the last time it rained mid summer in San Diego.) Anyhow, our dig day was pushed back another day so we started yesterday. I unfortunately was unable to be there the day of the dig and after they graded everything - the dimensioned markings the PB and I had laid out on the ground got erased. The excavator went off the drawing which wasn't exactly how we did all the radiuses which meant I came home to a spa that was about 2 feet away from where it was supposed to be and the underwater bar stool area ended up about 5 feet from the view instead of 2 feet.

I was a little panicked last night but -- having a great PB makes all the difference in the world. A dozen donuts and some discussion between the PB and the excavator and they are redoing the forms and everything is looking right on track. If anything we will end up getting a little bit more pool (maybe another 18" of width) due to the changes made today. I am so far very impressed with how our PB is handling all questions and issues that have come up. I know it is a long road to the finish but so far we are happy and excited with what is taking shape.

WP_20130712_001.jpg

Excavation is complete! The adjusted perimeter is what we were looking for and the excavation team dug down to 7.5' water depth in the deep end to give us a little extra buffer for the kids jumping off the waterfall. Overall everything feels pretty good walking around the hole although it is still difficult to gauge how large everything will be once the rebar and shotcrete goes in. The pool feels very spacious right now and it appears the sizing we went with will be perfect for our family and yard size.

Here is the view from the deck of the finished excavation:
WP_20130712_007%20(1).jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.