Summer Escapes 1000gph pump failure and replacement

Jun 13, 2010
Had a feeling that pump looked a little cheesy! No big surprise that it failed after a month of hard running...

Ordered an Intex 14in Sand Filter/Pump, and an adapter to hook up the intake hose to the S.E. thru-wall skimmer. Looks like it flows 1650gph. I like the S.E. skimmer, works well, and I like the second skimmer that the Intex pump has so I'm double protected from trash. I figure some pantyhose on the second skimmer and I'm set.

Now, to keep the water sparkling until the goodies get here... Wish me luck!

I decided to check out the cause of failure. Took apart the GFCI plug, water inside. So much for the weatherproofing!

Put a standard plug on and the pump fired up. This is good, now I can keep up with filtration and water flow while I wait for the new pump/filter. Or course, pump off when swimming!

Just completed the 1600 Sand Filter Pump install. It has been a few days since the last vacuum, and already the debris at the bottom of the pool has gathered in the center! Great flow! I used an adapter to allow the thru-wall skimmer that came with the pool, and used a hose adapter that came with the pump kit to make the attachment to the hose.

I am not thrilled with that hose adapter connection. It is a compression fitting, and seems to be a fragile connection due to the weight of the plunger valve, hose and the water it contains.

I have used some zip-ties to help support the weight at the bottom of the skimmer, as well as at the pump outlet. I will look for a better connection to the skimmer {or tips on finding one!}

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.