Copper Stains

Jun 7, 2008
Maryland
I purchased a home and pool that featured a ionizer.
This ionizer stained the pool and now I need to remove the stains if possible.

This is my second year with the pool and was quite ashamed with it last year.
I did the stain test year to confirm its was a copper stain.

I have not opened the pool yet, and planning to do so in the next few days.
I figure while the chlorine is low I can take some action, the questions is what action should I take?

So Please anyone with any advice please comment,
I believe waterbear is the resident expert??, but any help is apprecaited.

Shawn

Genrally, ascorbic acid will not remove copper staining and might make it worse, depending on the color of the copper stain (they can be blue, grey, black, or brown). Often an acid wash is the only thing that will worki.

Making it worse is not a chance I want to take.
The stains are brown and we used a stain test kit last summer to comfirm it was copper.

If the AA treatment is risky do I need to acid wash or can I prime and paint over the stains, I am considering changing the color from white to blue.

Thanks everyone for your comments

If you are draining to paint then acid washing first would be a good idea if your plaster can take it. Depends on the state of the plaster. Copper stains can be removed without draining but it is a lengthy process. Jack's Magic has products that can do the job but it can take several weeks to over a month to complete and the pool is not usable during the process. You can consult their website for more details.

If you are talking about draining the pool, it is worth at least trying the Vitamin C test on a small unobtrusive spot. If it works then you can do the ascorbic acid treatment and save a great deal of work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.