Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper Stains

I purchased a home and pool that featured a ionizer.
    This ionizer stained the pool and now I need to remove the stains if possible.

This is my second year with the pool and was quite ashamed with it last year.
    I did the stain test year to confirm its was a copper stain.

I have not opened the pool yet, and planning to do so in the next few days.
    I figure while the chlorine is low I can take some action, the questions is what action should I take?

So Please anyone with any advice please comment,
    I believe waterbear is the resident expert??, but any help is apprecaited.

Shawn
    55,000 In Ground Gunite
    Pentair CC Cartridge Filter 420 Sq Ft
    Polaris 360
    Skimlite Dually Pole and nets (highly recommend)
    No SWG-Yet
    No BBB-Yet

2. Back To Top    #2
    Stupid Ionizers....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3
    You can try an ascorbic acid treatment. Before doing that you should double check that it will work. Crush a few vitamin C tablets and put the powder in a sock. Gently rub a spot of stain with the sock for 30 seconds. If the stain disappears in that area you should do the ascorbic acid treatment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Genrally, ascorbic acid will not remove copper staining and might make it worse, depending on the color of the copper stain (they can be blue, grey, black, or brown). Often an acid wash is the only thing that will worki.

5. Back To Top    #5

Making it worse is not a chance I want to take.
    The stains are brown and we used a stain test kit last summer to comfirm it was copper.

If the AA treatment is risky do I need to acid wash or can I prime and paint over the stains, I am considering changing the color from white to blue.

Thanks everyone for your comments
    55,000 In Ground Gunite
    Pentair CC Cartridge Filter 420 Sq Ft
    Polaris 360
    Skimlite Dually Pole and nets (highly recommend)
    No SWG-Yet
    No BBB-Yet

6. Back To Top    #6
    If you are draining to paint then acid washing first would be a good idea if your plaster can take it. Depends on the state of the plaster. Copper stains can be removed without draining but it is a lengthy process. Jack's Magic has products that can do the job but it can take several weeks to over a month to complete and the pool is not usable during the process. You can consult their website for more details.

7. Back To Top    #7
    If you are talking about draining the pool, it is worth at least trying the Vitamin C test on a small unobtrusive spot. If it works then you can do the ascorbic acid treatment and save a great deal of work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School