A friend with a strange problem?

Jul 16, 2011
Mesa Arizona
I have a friend that has a 15,000 gallon pool. DE filter and an SWG. Everything seems to be working normally but in the last 2 weeks, he is having a recurring problem with green slime on the walls of his pool. His PH has been a little high but he is keeping it in check with acid but his chlorine levels are fluctuating. His salt level keeps going UP? How is this possible?
I'm beginning to suspect an edgy SWG unit but he just bought the SWG unit about 6 months ago but the head unit came with the house. The head unit says all is well except the high salt level.
Any ideas?????

Do you have full test numbers? Sound like he/she could be fighting an algae bloom. If the CYA conditioner is too high, this could be very difficult to fight.

Not knowing the numbers, I can't help.

His FC was 4 yesterday but it was .05 this morning. His PH is currently 7.5, CYA is around 50 and his CH is 200 or so. Sorry but I don't know his TA.
His water is crystal clear and but he just is getting green slime in various areas on his walls and the mouth of the skimmer. If his walls are turning green, why isn't he getting an algae bloom?

Need test results, but sounds like he will likely need to do the shock process and brush and brush and brush. Can you do the OCLT with him tonight so he can get going asap to have it still be clear for the holiday??

crek31 said:
Can you do the OCLT with him tonight??

Bingo...The OCLT should be done as soon as possible, and if needed start the shock process. After you are done shocking, you can raise CYA to 70pmm and maintain FC around 3-4ppm

He already started the shock process but I'm wondering why this has come up in the last week in the first place. His pool is always spotlessly clean and with an SWG, I don't think he should be getting any kind of algae. His water is still crystal clear. He is just getting spots of green on the walls even though he has a Barracuda and an SWG. It doesn't make sense to me. If the walls are getting slimy, I would expect there would be a severe algae bloom in short order but this has been going on for a week. I don't know if this can make a difference but he has a potassium based water softener that he does top off his pool with. He originally filled the pool with city water but uses the softened water to keep the CH in check. We have very hard water here in the Phoenix area.
BTW, the test results are his. He has a decent test kit. The best available at Leslie's.

I know people with spotless pools report they can get a little algae at the water line or in the back of the skimmer if they don't brush regularly. Does he brush the sides?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't know it until yesterday but he never brushes it. He thought the Barracuda was all that was needed unless it missed a few areas. The Barracuda vac does work well in his pool but when I found out he has not brushed the walls in months, I told him that it needs to be brushed completely every now and then. At least once a week or more even though the pool is clean.

Mesamav said:
His FC was 4 yesterday but it was .05 this morning.
It's most likely a type of mustard algae due to low FC levels. For a CYA of 50, it is important to never allow the chlorine to go below 2.5 ppm (5 % of CYA for a SWG). If you do get algae, then you need to follow the full shock process.

For insurance, I recommend an FC level in the 7.5 to 10 % for routine level after the shock process is complete.

Note: 5 % is the absolute minimum. If the FC does go below that, you are probably growing algae.

Your friend really needs an FAS-DPD test kit, such as the TF100 or K-2006. He should also get a salt test kit.

http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html

http://tftestkits.net/Taylor-K-2006-p27.html

http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

Mesamav said:
He already started the shock process but I'm wondering why this has come up in the last week in the first place. His pool is always spotlessly clean and with an SWG, I don't think he should be getting any kind of algae. His water is still crystal clear. He is just getting spots of green on the walls even though he has a Barracuda and an SWG. It doesn't make sense to me. If the walls are getting slimy, I would expect there would be a severe algae bloom in short order but this has been going on for a week. I don't know if this can make a difference but he has a potassium based water softener that he does top off his pool with. He originally filled the pool with city water but uses the softened water to keep the CH in check. We have very hard water here in the Phoenix area.
BTW, the test results are his. He has a decent test kit. The best available at Leslie's.

I didn't think I would have algae either.....SWG and crystal clear water. See this thread
mustard-algae-t63844.html

I'm sure I did now. I brought up to shock and brushed and brushed even on a clear day while hubby was floating on a raft. I realized my previous lack of brushing must have contributed. A week later I have scrubbed and brushed everything and water is clearer than when I though it was crystal clear before. I also have been adding DE to my sand filter. Now when I brush.....no cloud???? Really !! I'm still lowering FC to see if it comes back like mustard algae would. I certainly don't want that but if it is I will be here asking more questions here

Mesamav said:

At some point or points his FC has simply been too low and it allowed Algae to grow...plain and simple. He does need to shock, brush and keep shocking until he kills it all. Can you help him through the process, and encourage him to get a FAS/DPD Kit for himself? He really needs it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.