Air keeps getting into my pump somehow.

I have been running the pump 24-7. Everytime I open up the air valve thingie (technical term) on top of the filter it seems like air comes out of it for like 5 minutes at a time. The pressure gauge moves a little bit, but not all that much. Everthing seems to be working correctly. I have great pressure out of the return and it doesn't seem like the skimmer is sucking in air. Also, last year when I would open up the air valve, water would just spew out after the air was out, but this year it only trickles out. Any idea why it does this and how I can fix it?

Sounds like the issue is with teh pump - have you checked your flow at the return? Is it nice and strong?
Air in the system is ALWAYS at or before the pump, so it's anywhere between skimmer and pump lid (pump lid being the common culprit) try lubing it with Silicone based lube.
Your impeller may also be partially clogged causing less pressure thus less force coming from the pressure guage hole.

If you have good pressure at the return, it likely won't be an impeller problem, but just for future reference, the impeller is in the pump (actually, it IS the pump - or at lerast the portion of the pump that moves the water).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.