Where to buy 1/8 - 1/4 pea gravel

Oct 17, 2010
I'm replacing a sand filter and I want to do it right. I can get pea pebbles at Home Depot or Lowes but they are larger than the size specified by Pentair. I can order the right size from Leslies or other pool stores in town but delivery is two weeks. No place locally seems to stock it. I'm going to an aquarium store tonight to see what they have. Help, my water is getting cloudy! Where have you all bought your pea gravel and what kind or size did you get?

Solution: I washed one bag of pea pebbles (0.5 cubic feet, ~50 lbs., $4) and poured it in first. This formed a layer under the laterals. Then, I poured in 100 lbs. of aquarium gravel. Walmart sells it for about $12 per 25 lbs. bag. In total, my gravel mix was not much more expensive than the difficult-to-source, pool filter-specific gravel that costs about $14 per 50 lbs. bag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.