Gatorade yellow algae growing on my pool sides?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm only 2 weeks into pool ownership. Been testing with my TF-100 daily. FC is hovering around 3-5, Ph 7.2, TA 110, and CYA was 0, but after 1lb of stabilizer, just checked in at 30. I'm getting lime yellow/green growth in the corners of my sitting area and steps and it's building on the sides and on some of the water returns. I just brushed the pool a few days ago. Do I need to shock? Scrub more? First time dealing with algae on the gunite. Water looks great though.

Is the water clear? I would say as long as your FC is below shock for your CYA, you are safe to swim. I would make your best effort each night but let it drift down for the party. But... after the party, get your FC back to shock levels. I would even say to have your chlorine measured and ready to pour so you can enjoy your party knowing you are ready ... for after that party. If you have mustard algae, the FC levels required are even higher.

Just my two cents.

zimm said:
Yes it's clear. If hate to dump 2 gallons of bleach in right before kids will swim. I can put it in tonight and let FC drop for the 4th...
You'll be dumping bleach in again before the fourth. I'd get to work with the brush and raise that FC up and repeat it again and again as often as you can before the party. There's a chance it will be cleared up by then. You still have a couple days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the summer the pools I've seen can get green algae in the corners/steps if the pump isn't running enough and the FC level drops corresponding with a huge rainfall. Did you recently get a big rain?

Alright, the pool is fixed. Looked great the next morning. I zapped a few remaining spots with a brush and all looks good. TC level peaked at 15 with 2 large bottles of Clorox. CC was .5-1.0. Haven't done the DPD test today, but yesterday the yellow test off the scale so looking pretty good. Been running the pump 24/7, but now dropped it to 12 hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.