Jump in with both feet, sort of.

Jul 9, 2010
Bixby oklahoma
hey everyone. little back story. I had a 18' intex for years with a SWG and learned quite a bit from you all here when I had it. I thought I did well taking care of the water for what my budget would allow. Never had any issues. Well now I have stepped up to the Big leagues, sort of.
Im moving to a new home, Family home grandparents to be exact. They still live in the attached apartment so Grandpa is still around. Main house, yard and pool are mine to take care of. I would like to give BBB a try but Grandpa is pretty stuck in his ways on how to take care of the pool. He is in his mid 80's now and I love him to death so most times I let him have his way. Every since day one it has had 3" pucks. Infact we just replaced the inline feeder and new 2 hp hayward pump plus he just bought a big ole bucket of pucks.

I dont have the recommended test kit yet but i have a lesser one that gets most of the job done. This plus the pool store has gotten pretty much all the levels in line so far. My question is what major issues will I face using pucks as the primary chlorine? At least until I can swap over to BBB.

33k gallon inground, concrete and either gunite or plaster, not sure and he doesnt remember either. Pool was built in the early 80's. This fall we plan to have it redone because the surface is getting some rough spots. Deck will be done also.

This was a few days after the old pump died and the chlorine feeder had been broken for weeks. yes thats my old intex pump, LOL. I was just trying to keep the water moving and was throwing granules in it.
IMG_20130623_113717_257_zpse3e64d1d.jpg

Seven days later, New pump and feeder had been running for 4 days.
IMG_20130630_135754_089_zps71290626.jpg

anyways thanks and im sure Ill be asking more ?'s soon.

mike

Those older folks get stuck in their ways sometimes and I'm not going to debate whether it's a good or bad thing. I know it can be rough though. :mrgreen:

If you must appease Pap, you'll have to keep a very close eye on the pH and the CYA levels when exclusively using pucks and be prepared to do partial drain/refills when the CYA gets out of hand.

Order a test kit. Lets not completely follow in his foot steps in regards to pool care. :goodjob: When he's not looking, take the pucks out and give her a nice big drink of liquid bleach! :mrgreen: Maybe you can talk him into just handing over the reins since you are now the *official* pool boy! *I would tell him this while wearing a yellow speedo* :mrgreen:

You need to make some fake white puckets out of concrete, in various levels of size. Dose the chlorine at night. Replace large pucks with smaller ones on a timeframe mimicking the rate they dissolve. Take pucks out of bucket on schedule and hide them. You'll need one extra puck bucket to "replace" the empty bucket on schedule with hidden saved pucks.

Haha!! :lol: you all are cracking me up. funny thing is I thought of a couple ideas. Not the speedo part, though. I think I can sway him. It is mine to do how I see fit i just dont want to hurt his feelings by pretty much saying his way is not the best way. he may just have to come to the dark side LoL.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.