Solar Panels - Series or Parallel?

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
I hear it is best to mount them in parallel. What exactly does that mean? I am going to have 2 4x20 panels. Will I be able to use the standard add-on panel kit to mount in parallel, or should I plan on getting custom hoses and fittings? These will be located on the ground next to the pool.

In parallel means that the top of one panel is connected to the top of the next and like wise for the bottom. Water flows through all of the panels in parallel, not through one panel then through another. The reason for this that each panel has a rather low recommended flow rate. In most cases this is around 4 to five gpm per panel.

Most panels have connectors to couple one panel to another. You can also get connectors to connect the panel to your piping. The manufacturer of the panels should be able to supply you with all of the parts (other than the PVC piping) you need. Also note that the supply pipe into the panel bank should be connected at the opposite end that the return pipe is. Also the supply should be at the bottom of the panel bank, and the return at the top.

"Water flows through all of the panels in parallel, not through one panel then through another."

Ok, I am still confused. All of the manufacturer diagrams I have seen show the panels connected together with only a small peice of pipe between them, such that the water does flow from one panel into the next one, and then to the pool. Are you saying that I need to split the supply line in two, and have each split line go to an in port on separate panels, and then have the return line come off each panel and then combine back into one return line to the pool?

If so, then I do not see any need to purcahse the manufacturers connection kit, as I will need to do substantial custom piping. Do I have this correct?

Mine are connected parallel - meaning I supply water to both panels at the same time, not one then it flows to the other. Put a pvc T pipe in there at the Intake (bottom) and another at the Outlet (top) One panel was placed upside down so that both Intakes are on the bottom (they should be marked - IN and OUT) So you have one on hose going IN from the pool and one hose going OUT from the panels. Do you have a diverter set up or just run them straight in?

I don't have them set up yet, as I am still in planning stage. I plan to oder them soon. I want to use an actuator valve and controller, which I assume would work with the set-up you described. However, aren't the panels designed to be placed such that the water comes in from the bottom of the panel? Does the set-up you describe have water going in to the top of one panel? Do you have any problems with that?

Boy, sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words. I was confused why you were saying that you turned one panel upside down. But having seen your set-up that makes sense, because you have your panels are laid out end to end, for a 4x40 layout, with the plumbing coming in the the middle where the two panels meet. In my setup the two panels will be laid side by side, such that the long sides will be adjacent to each other. An 8x20 setup. The plumbing will all come from one end, and the water coming in to the panels will feed into the bottom of each panel. Thus, there is no need to turn one upside down. In fact, turning one upside down would be counter-productive. Anyway, now that I have figured out your layout, I see that the plan I had in mind is in fact a parallel system.

Thanks for the photos.

Gosh I would love to see pics when you have it done, or while you are working on it!!! I love to see how everyone gets their systems to fit their spaces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.