Sundeck in the end of roman pool?

Jun 7, 2013
Anyone have any recomendations on the best way to create a sundeck on the end on a roman pool? My wife wants to have one of the arches at about 18" deep. The other arch is full depth. I figured pouring solid concrete would work but that is a lot of concrete and I am not sure how to form that up to make a nice radius. Then I though about pouring a slab and front wall, filling with stone and then capping it off. It all sounds good in theory but I dont know how to actually make it happen. Ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This is a DIY pool build I presume?

Are you pouring concrete walls or did you buy a pool wall kit?

I think I would pour a wall on the radius, forming up with plywood. You'd have to have strong supports to nail the plywood to, and possibly work your way up from the bottom with strips of plywood to facilitate nailing/screwing from the inside. You could take your strips of plywood and get them wet them let them dry in the sun to put a nice bend in them.

When it's dry you cut the supports below radius wall with sawzall and remove form, then backfill and pour the cap. I'd use as much rebar as I could fit in as we'll. still going to be a lot of concrete.

Its a semi DYI with steel walls. An installer is coming over to do most everything with the actual install but I got the feeling that he didnt have a good grip on this part of it.
Let me see if I understand your suggestion. For a wall that's maybe 8" thick. Form the front to the desired radius with plywood using some type of support. Maybe 4x4 dug into the floor. Attach the plywood to these supports and pour the wall. After its cured remove the forms backfill with stone and cap with concrete to give me the deck. Sound about right?

What about tying the front wall into the steel sides to keep it from falling forward. I guess it would almost need a footing with full hieght vertical rebar supports.
I may need to try and talk my wife out of this one....

I was thinking of forming the back of the wall too.

And maybe you would need to have to wall go behind where it meets the steel form such that the steel form can attach to said wall.

Would be much easier for a crew to shoot it with gunite and then carve it to shape, you would still need someone that knows what they are doing to do the rebar work and tying in of the steel walls. Your guy has not dealt with this before I presume?

I'm sure other will post and give you ideas.

I could be way off base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.