Quick question on Ascorbic Acid Treatment

NHDad

Jun 4, 2013
Chester, NH
Quick question on Ascorbic Acid Treatment. I did this about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it worked great. I slowly brought the Chlorine back up, everything great. Then it got hot and humid and the water got cloudy. I then raised the chlorine to fight the cloudiness (about 1 week into the process with PH at 7.2) and the stains came back. I know I should have consulted here first but I didn't. Right now, the water is greenish (like it was before the treatment) with stains forming on the pool. I have let me Chlorine drop way back down. I still have a bunch of Ascorbic Acid so... would you recommend doing that again or just putting in Metal Magic (on my way to get some now). One more note is that I couldn't find the good sequestrant originally so I used Mineral Magnet from Namco. I believe this was a bad choice but I'm now off to get the good stuff.

Thanks.

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

According to this MSDS, the NAMCO Mineral Magnet is HEDP at 60% concentration. You need to add metal sequestrant regularly, probably once a week. Also, before shocking or raising the FC high, you want to lower the pH first. At this point you can try lowering the pH and adding more metal sequestrant and see if that is enough; if not, you can redo the ascorbic acid treatment.

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Thank you. I tried a bottle of sequestrant over the weekend with my ph low but no good results (the namco stuff). It actually continued to get worse, especially once I lost my pump. Luckily I bought extra aa when I got it so I'll give that another shot tonight as soon as I get my new pump hooked up;). At least the mineral magnet is HEDP I just need about 1 2/3 as much as Jack's but at least I can get it down the street. The store that was supposed to have Metal Magic doesn't really carry it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.