Aquarite 40k startup problem

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
So I installed my new Aquarite 40k this past weekend and dumped in 280 lbs of salt for a 13,000 gallon pool. My salt reading before install was 400 (not sure where that salt came from), and I figured I would avoid any risk of oversalination and only use 7 bags. I can always add more. I've run the pump for approximately 24 hours since dumping in the salt.

According to the pool calculator, I should be at a reading of about 2974ppm. Here are my actual readings:

Aquachek Strips: 520ppm
Aquarite Panel: The average salinity is not changing, and when I do the instant salinity the reading seems to alternate between 1000 and 1500. It has not come up since last night.

Regardless, I'm nowhere near the level that I should be. I've jumped in the pool and walked around and I don't feel any grittiness on the bottom anymore, so it seems the salt is all dissolved. What am I missing?

Side question. My "Inspect Cell" LED is lighting up. Is that just because the salt levels are too low? It's a brand new T-cell 15.

The startup manual says to run the pump for 24 hours, but just to get an accurate salt reading. It doesn't mention anything about damage. The sensor very quickly detects that there is not enough salt and it shuts the panel down.

I tested about an hour ago and the reading is now at about 2400, so it seems like it's coming up. Not sure why it plateaued around 1500, but it seems to have resolved itself. I can't explain why my test strips are measuring so low.

They came with the unit, so they're brand new.

Update on the Aquarite behavior. The salt level jumped to 2800, which is right about where it should be, and it started generating chlorine. I went out about an hour later and it still said it was generating, but the current was at 0.00. I tried doing the instant salinity test again, and now it's back down to 1500 and the unit won't generate.

What are the chances that this unit is bad?

My aquarite was doing the same thing & my cell was indeed bad (cell just under 1 year old. :grrrr:). When I turned on the SWG, green power light stays green, but the generating light would stay on for about 2 min, then the red check salt, check cell lights would come on. Salt would read erratically: 1600, 2900, then 1900 later.(actual level was 3000 when tested) It would also run fine for an hour or so sometimes, then go back to the 2 min, then not generating. Press & release the diagnostic button (I think it's the 5th press-refer to Hayward users manual to be sure) to see the amps of your cell. If it's less than 5, your cell is probably bad. Mine was reading 4.2.( Just to see I put the old cell this one replaced on & it read 3.25) Luckily the new one was under warranty, so the 100% replacement is on its way. More than likely my old one was still under warranty, but we didn't know. I saw the post about Hayward's 100% replacement warranty for 3 or 5 years respective of the first digit of the serial # of the cell you have.( I'll be checking it in the am!!) I'd have it checked & maybe yours is one that is still under warranty, too. Good luck!!

Thanks for the help Alphamare. I called Hayward's warranty department and they agreed it is bad, but they want to send a tech out to replace it for $100. How did you get them to send you a replacement?

Just some background information I've learned. Apparently the cells have two sensors, one on either side. If your salt readings are alternating between normal and not, chances are good that one of the sensors is bad. Right now I'm just turning the unit off and then on until I get the reading I want, and then setting it to 100%. If it runs half time, then I'm getting the 50% I really want. =)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some one posted under topic " Pay attention to warranty" or sometning similar. She actually had her whole system installed by a local pool company & was able to pick her cell up locally. I would call Hayward back & insist they send the cell to me. Your warranty isn't voided if you remove the cell, clean it & reinstall it, right? Worth a try!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.