Raypak doesn't honor warranty if internet purchase

Jul 1, 2013
I ordered a heater from the internet. It is brand new, never used. I called Raypak and they said that they will not warranty heaters if they are purchased on line. Here's the thing, their distributor was going to charge double for the same heater which is a replacement for an existing heater. Same height, etc. I can see a 40% markup on the heater and an additional $600 to install it. I don't quite understand if they are selling through distribution channels that they choose why they won't honor the warranty. Just be aware.

Welcome to TFP!

This is a fairly standard practice. It is done to protect their dealer network. Warranty servicing is actually done by the dealer your purchased from, not Rapak directly, so it kind of makes sense.

Raypak doesn't sell on the Internet, and I suspect they don't allow their dealers to sell on the Internet either. None the less some of their dealers do sell that way, and tracking down who is doing it is difficult, so Raypak can't easily terminate their dealerships.

Here's the thing, even if they don't honor the warranty, we could get two of these for the price that a dealer would charge. My opinion is that they should stand by their product for some things like manufacturer defects perhaps not for poorly installed things. I guess I get it. Still people should know this before they buy since it wasn't very clear to us that this was the case.

This type of thing is common practice and if not for all companies, it will be soon. Companies are tired of having to deal with the DIY'er when the unit isn't installed properly. There is liability involved as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.