Replace pump only on intex sand filter syatem

Jul 1, 2013
Hello all, new to the forum . I look to get some good advice as well as give whatever I can.

I own an Intex 16X48 AGP, with a saltwater system with a 1200 GPH pump.

Current setup: I have the krystal clear saltwater system, with the filter cartridge, going through an intex sand filter (model sf20110). The cartridge is removed, thus making the sand filter do the work. The water looks great.

I also have an extra saltwater clorinator, not hooked up. (it was originally hooked up with the sand filter).

Issue: I would like to hook up an automatic cleaner, but the 1200 GPH pump is not strong enough.

Solution: I am trying to get just the pump for this sand filter, then hook up the clorinator, new pump, existing sand filter.

Question: Can I get just a pump without buying an entire sand filter system?

Thank you for advice!

I don't believe Intex makes a pump only configuration. You would have to look at a "real" pump such as a small Hayward unit or similar. Be fully aware if you go with a "real" pump, I would recommend you get a real Hayward pool skimmer and not use the Intex intake......you would have a real suction hazard there.

My two cents, auto pool cleaner for an Intex.......I would say, get a nice pool cover or use the one that came with it to keep the Crud out of the pool. A got a cheap battery powered pool vacuum and that with the cover on unless it's being used has all but eliminated pool cleaning concerns.

Do a search or look around here, I know someone adapted a Hayward 3/4 or 1hp pump to his Intex sand filter. Be prepared for some light modifications to make it all work, but it will work.

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
I don't believe Intex makes a pump only configuration. You would have to look at a "real" pump such as a small Hayward unit or similar. Be fully aware if you go with a "real" pump, I would recommend you get a real Hayward pool skimmer and not use the Intex intake......you would have a real suction hazard there.

My two cents, auto pool cleaner for an Intex.......I would say, get a nice pool cover or use the one that came with it to keep the **** out of the pool. A got a cheap battery powered pool vacuum and that with the cover on unless it's being used has all but eliminated pool cleaning concerns.

Do a search or look around here, I know someone adapted a Hayward 3/4 or 1hp pump to his Intex sand filter. Be prepared for some light modifications to make it all work, but it will work.

Bob E.

Thank you for the input. I would like to adapt a 3/4 HP to it. I do not think I need any bigger than that. I'll try to search for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.