Water not returning?

Jun 26, 2013
Guys I am having with one of my returns to pump number 2. I have one pump that takes water from pool and the attached spa and pushing it through the filter. Then another one that just has a pipe comming in and going back underground. I am fairly certain it has to do with the spa. I have to main returns in the pool and two more in the spa (each has 2 pipes under it). There is very little water comming into that second pump, comming in slowly but water is clear so i dont think there is a crack in the pipe? the pump comes on when i turn it on but there is hardly any water in it. I rarely used it in the past but was always full of water (usually just circulated it a few times in a season to keep algea from growing in it). any ides what it could be? clog or maybe air stuck in it? I can take picture of equipment if needed.

It sounds like either a clog or an air leak in the suction line. Have you made sure the basket lid seal is clean and lubricated well? Have you tried flushing water backward through it to see if anything comes out?

I will check out lide again today, took it off couple of times just to see whats going on but didnt really pay attention..... its one of those that snaps down and then u turn it about quarter way around. How would I flash water through it backwards? just take a hose and run water into it? I dont think there is a way to use the pump to reverse? (at least I dont know how)

Ok so I tried as you suggested and didnt seem to get anywhere, the pump was almost full by tonight but still very slow feed comming in. With hose it filled up quickly but when i turned the pump on it went dry withing couple seconds ( i dont think i can create enough pressure from the hose to push the water out in the spa as there spa is full of water, seemed like the water jsut came right back into the pump??). I remember I opened one of these up couple years ago and water was gushing out like no tomorrow from just the pressure in the pool, I guess this one is for the spa so less water but I would think with lid open water still should come out? the pumps are below water level in the pool, wouldnt this be indicative of some kind of a clog?
If so is there a way for me to attempt to clear it somehow or do I need to get a pool professional to do this?

UnderWaterVanya said:
Try attaching a drain king to the house and then fitting it into the pipes.

Sent via Tapatalk...
Wow never heard of this thing, do you suppose this will be ok for a long pipe used in pool equipment? The pipe is farily long betwen the spa and the pool equipment and i see this thing only in close quarter videos.

edit: just saw a vid or this or something similar on the tube and you are right this looks like the right thing for the job :) thanks

UnderWaterVanya said:
Try attaching a drain king to the house and then fitting it into the pipes.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thanks Vanya, this worked great :) cleared the clog right up, although not really sure what the clog was as all that cleared up was a couple of small leaves :p but water now is running as it should.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.