MistaBernie

Jun 21, 2013
Bawston, MA
Hello all!

My wife and I just moved across town to a lovely new-to-us home that came with a beautiful (kidney shaped?) gunite pool. We took a little time to get settled before trying to tackle the chore of opening the pool ourselves (with next to no knowledge on our own), but we eventually did open the pool a few weeks ago, thanks to some help I've found lurking here on the TFP Forums of course! :)

We did end up needing to replace all the grids and the manifold to our DE filter (we were wondering why vacuuming was sending stuff right back into the pool -- turns out not only were the grids pretty much completely blocked, but they also seemed to be crushed in a couple of places, and the manifold was cracked (looked like it was caved in) by the outlet, so we bit the bullet and replaced the entire assembly except for the base.

The pool came with a Polaris five-port caretaker system, but I was concerned it wasn't operating correctly after I put it all together (I replaced all the seals, cleaned out the filter in the valve, etc) so I just let the skimmers do their thing and vacuum the pool as needed. Also, it seems like one of the jets (by the stairs) isn't working, but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be working with the caretaker or what. Of course, getting someone to come out and take a look at your pool during the summer around here is like trying to find someone that wants to cuddle up next to a warm fire in winter clothes in the middle of the summer, but the pool is otherwise running great. PSI seems to be a little high after replacing the grids and priming the system with DE (16-18psi) but it seems like it's running great now.

The weir does get stuck in the deep end, which is a relatively recent development. If I leave it open, the water isn't forceful enough to push it all the way down (so it's getting stuck trying to open fully). I have it pressed all the way down and it's staying that way. The suggestion I was given was to remove it and plane it a bit on the sides so it moves freely. Not sure how I feel about that, but that's neither here nor there.

Outside of the pool, my wife and I are relatively-young professionals (early 30s) that got married back a couple of years ago. I frequent other forums (I'm a photography enthusiast and shoot on the side) as well as a moderator at one of the larger computer overclocking forums on the net. I'll eventually post photos of the pool (and accompanying landscaping).

That's all I have to say about that.

Welcome to TFP! Please do post pics of your new pool! :cool:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The door on the skimmer/weir probably needs a little sanding at the point it touches/hangs-up on the housing. Planning it sound a little like over-kill to me :roll: You may be able to hand sand it with the door in place. If it's a real old pool the plastic retainer clips may snap-off/break as they can get bridle. Use the Kiss Theory :lol:

Good Luck :cheers:

ktc211 said:

The door on the skimmer/weir probably needs a little sanding at the point it touches/hangs-up on the housing. Planning it sound a little like over-kill to me :roll: You may be able to hand sand it with the door in place. If it's a real old pool the plastic retainer clips may snap-off/break as they can get bridle. Use the Kiss Theory :lol:

Thanks, sanding it seems to make sense. Is there a particular sandpaper I should consider using or does it not matter? I don't think I would try to do it in the pool, seems like a good way to introduce plastic dust into the filtration system, which I have to imagine isn't all that great for the system.

Also, I just ordered (well, yesterday) my TFT-100 kit. I think in the interest of not freaking out my wife, I'm going to take the easy (albeit more expensive) way out and work off the recommendations of our local pool store (that has actually treated us quite well), but I'm going to head on over to the Pool School and try to run next year start to finish off of household products.

MistaBernie said:
ktc211 said:

Thanks, sanding it seems to make sense. Is there a particular sandpaper I should consider using or does it not matter? I don't think I would try to do it in the pool, seems like a good way to introduce plastic dust into the filtration system, which I have to imagine isn't all that great for the system.

Also, I just ordered (well, yesterday) my TFT-100 kit. I think in the interest of not freaking out my wife, I'm going to take the easy (albeit more expensive) way out and work off the recommendations of our local pool store (that has actually treated us quite well), but I'm going to head on over to the Pool School and try to run next year start to finish off of household products.
Hi, MistaBernie!

A little plastic dust shouldn't do anything to the water, and the filter is designed to catch stuff like that.

You can buy your chemicals from the pool store to keep the wife happy. My pool pretty much just uses bleach and acid, and I get both from the local pool store in refillable jugs. It's actually a decent price - and they have enough turnover that I know it's fresh. We don't care so much what you use or where you buy it, as long as it's what your pool needs.

Richard320 said:
Hi, MistaBernie!

A little plastic dust shouldn't do anything to the water, and the filter is designed to catch stuff like that.

You can buy your chemicals from the pool store to keep the wife happy. My pool pretty much just uses bleach and acid, and I get both from the local pool store in refillable jugs. It's actually a decent price - and they have enough turnover that I know it's fresh. We don't care so much what you use or where you buy it, as long as it's what your pool needs.

Yeah, both of those definitely appear to be true. That said, I would like to see how easy/difficult it is to remove the weir anyways in case I have to replace, etc. I have a feeling installing is slightly easier than removal, but it's good to find out for future reference either way.

Now, replacing the light, that's going to be fun. The general process is easy (two total screws to remove), but I will actually need to remove the current bulb to figure out what kind to replace it with. Add to that the interesting fact that the breaker appears to be on the box outside with the pump, etc, but the actual light switch is inside the house, so I'm not even positive that shutting off the breaker that says 'Pool Lights' will kill the power to the switch in the house.

The super safe thing to do would be just kill the main power to the house, but that seems a little excessive. That said, better safe than zapped. :cool: