Newbie with low levels....

Jun 4, 2008
We just bought a house with a 24ft round above ground pool. New liner was installed and lovely new seam leak finally fixed. Now I need help on getting the chemistry right. We have a nasty looking chlorinator that I swear doesnt work. Ready to switch to BBB now.
levels are
FC 1
CC .5
TC 1.5
PH 7.8 may be lower, hard for me to tell pinkish redish colors on kit
TA 100
CH 120
CYA 30
Temp 82
Yes we have the TF 100 test kit. We get full sun on the pool and up until a few days ago I was shocking it.
I only shocked because the chlorine was low and listened to Leslies that it was needed every other week.
I did add calcium something or other initially(first of May) and was told the level was fine, now its low. Why?
Can we remove the chlorinator all together and just use bleach?
The water is clear, poolskim working like a charm, just cant get the TC to the right level, help!

Welcome & congrats on new house, pool and liner!

I'm sure one of the pros will get to you soon, but I can tell you that with an AGP you don't have to worry about the CH so much, so it sounds like you're fine on that aspect.

Always nice to have one less thing to worry about adding I find. :)

How does your water look?

Are you saying that you're having trouble getting and keeping the TC in the 2-6 ppm (ideal) range? If so, you probably still have organics in the pool and still need to sustain shock levels.

You don't NEED to remove the chlorinator. It won't hurt anything to have it still in-line.

The first thing is to maintain your FC level between 2 and 6, and never below 2, by adding bleach each evening, or any time FC goes down to 2. If you play with the amount you add you can find a target level for the evening that results in FC being at least 2 the next evening, probably around 5.

For an introduction to the BBB method of pool care and some good background on basic pool chemistry for beginners read my BBB for Beginners article in the May 2008 TFP newsletter, it is the first article, just below the Meet the Members announcement.

ktdave said:
How does your water look?

Are you saying that you're having trouble getting and keeping the TC in the 2-6 ppm (ideal) range? If so, you probably still have organics in the pool and still need to sustain shock levels.

You don't NEED to remove the chlorinator. It won't hurt anything to have it still in-line.

Water looks great! Yes have been having trouble getting and keeping the TC in the 2-6 range but headed out this morning for BBB.
How could I have organics in the pool? I dont shop in the organics isle. Its just tap water.
As for the chlorinator, its gross. It looks like someone barfed in it.
Things clinging to the side, floaties, and it still has the same pucks the 'pro pool liner installer dudes' put in there the first week of May.
Im off to get bleach and get at least that level straight then I can work on the rest.
Sorry forgot to mention it has a sand filter, dont know what size... and a Hayward 1 HP pump, vinyl crappy new liner, but it works.
Thanks!

If you want to remove the chlorinator thats personal preference....It can be a nice way to add chlorine when you will be away for a few days....but if it's hideous and you can't stand looking at it, then by all means,take it out.

Organics is just another word for "stuff" that is consuming your chlorine.

Your water looks good and you don't need to worry about the CH.

Keep an eye on your ph it's at the high end of o.k. and if it raises any you will need to lower it with acid.

Enjoy your pool!

Hi romeroshannon,

romeroshannon said:
PH 7.8 may be lower, hard for me to tell pinkish redish colors on kit

Sometimes it helps to have some words to go along with the visual for the pH testing.

Waterbear wrote this description and it helped me, so maybe it will help you, too!

above 8.2 purple
8.0-8.2 purplish red
7.8 pinkish red with a hint of purple
7.6 red
7.4-7.5 red with an orange cast
7.2 orange
7.0 yellow orange
6.8 and below yellow

Welcome to the forum :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.